PDA

View Full Version : 95 260....good buy?

GMpwr
05-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Greetings! I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time.....its time i finally crawl out of the woodwork and post something! I've spend the past few months looking for a baja. My limits have somewhat constrained what I've been able to look at, must be 20k or less, don't want an islander and gotta have a cuddy. So here's what I finally found, its a 95 260....a wee bit older than I wanted but with my budget I think its going to have to be a early or mid 90s boat. Its got a recently built 502 from a local engine shop with paperwork, dynoed @ 540 hp and close to 600lbs of torque. Seller claims 70 mph on stock 4 blade prop. Gelcoat is in great shape, only defects I could find were a few small spider cracks around the tie offs....everything else is really solid. Its got all the goodies, trim tabs, nice stereo, cover, captains choice exhaust (or as i refer to them as cut outs).

Im a car guy so I know my motors, everything checked out on that end but Im new to the boating world and have never purchased a boat before. Already looked at the boat once in person and I'm going back later this week for a test drive. What are the main things I should look for on this boat? seller is asking 20k.....what's a reasonable price? Thanks in advance for any help or words of wisdom!

here's the boat

http://images.craigslist.org/3Kd3Nc3Hb5L45Ha5Jcd58425fbd5a408218c9.jpg

Firehill
05-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Welcome to the forum! I had a 1991 260 that I purchased in 1996. Had it for 14 years and then friend bought it and I bought a 302. Loved the 260. Great room in the cockpit was a big plus. I even installed marine air in it for overnights plus many upgrades (upholstery, gauges, led's, bolster seats, throttle/shifter, ac, stereo) over the years. Mine had the 7.4 in it so no speed demon, 55 was tops. The only negative on the boat is the deadrise is 21 degrees and not 24 like most are. My home lake is a rough sucker on the weekends and the boat does slam the water pretty good. I would tabdown some to try and smooth the ride for us. I sold mine for 12k 3 years ago but might of could of gotten a little bit more if I had put it out there, but never listed it.

Nightlife
05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Greetings! I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time.....its time i finally crawl out of the woodwork and post something! I've spend the past few months looking for a baja. My limits have somewhat constrained what I've been able to look at, must be 20k or less, don't want an islander and gotta have a cuddy. So here's what I finally found, its a 95 260....a wee bit older than I wanted but with my budget I think its going to have to be a early or mid 90s boat. Its got a recently built 502 from a local engine shop with paperwork, dynoed @ 540 hp and close to 600lbs of torque. Seller claims 70 mph on stock 4 blade prop. Gelcoat is in great shape, only defects I could find were a few small spider cracks around the tie offs....everything else is really solid. Its got all the goodies, trim tabs, nice stereo, cover, captains choice exhaust (or as i refer to them as cut outs).

Im a car guy so I know my motors, everything checked out on that end but Im new to the boating world and have never purchased a boat before. Already looked at the boat once in person and I'm going back later this week for a test drive. What are the main things I should look for on this boat? seller is asking 20k.....what's a reasonable price? Thanks in advance for any help or words of wisdom!

here's the boat

http://images.craigslist.org/3Kd3Nc3Hb5L45Ha5Jcd58425fbd5a408218c9.jpg

I also had a 91 260 with a 454 330HP in it. 55 was it's number, with 540HP in that 502, there may be a bit more speed in that boat.

The thing to look for like any older boat is rot in the stringers and transom. If it has been a trailer queen it's probably going to be dry. Just tap around on the stringer and transom and listen for any dead spots, or you can spend the coin to get a survey done.

Being that the boat is a 95 I don't think they are to far off on the asking price. The 25' single engine boats always hold their value a bit better, but I would not be afraid to offer 17 and settle around 18.5 if it is in good shape.

The 260 is a great first boat. Easy to drive pridictable, and lots of room for the size. It's also a great tubing boat. At times I wish I still had mine and just did some upgrades to it.

Mrant212
06-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I have a 93 260 that I got last year. It is a great first boat. Got mine from a friend for pretty good deal it did a need a decent amount of servicing since it sat in dry dock for over 3 yrs. Took it out for its first run today and I've been smiling since! :). Runs and rides nice....it is a great tubing boat. My kids and their friends love it! Go for it and have some fun!!