PDA

View Full Version : 1980 180 SS outboard/ Bigger Horsepower?

Frenchie1028
05-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Hello all, 1st time posting here, and thanks for having me. so 2 yrs ago Received a 1980 180 SS Baja for free. Everything was gutted from it. In the process of replacing the stringers and the flooring. So been looking for a motor, steering, cables ect. , and another deal falls in my lap. It was a 1990 Glastron with everything there. Motor, controls, steering, everything. $250.00 So my problem is the motor from the Glastron is a 200hp Black Max. My Baja is only rated for a 150hp. I have seen several people go bigger but is it wise to do? My transom is very solid. The motor does run great, checked it out today. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks

tablerocker
05-31-2015, 06:53 PM
Well...as you say, a lot of people will overpower from factory recommended when it comes to o/b power on boats. I've a friend with a modified 350 hp Mercury on a 650 lb., 19' Allison hull, for example. THAT boat runs in the 110s - 120s realm. Insane stuff. But he is an expert and has been racing other boats for years, along with some of the 'big names' in o/b racing.
You REALLY have to know what you are doing when it comes to this, as it is not just the power and thus accompanying greater speed, but the weight and everything else to consider.
I have heard there are ramifications when it comes to water patrol inspections if your o/b engine is larger than the specified one on the capacity plate of your boat...but have no real-world experience to back that up.
At the end of the day, you'll have to decide if you want to use the 200 hp engine or not. Personally I'd say, "go for it", but take the time to LEARN IT WELL. You'll likely have a boat that will run low to mid 60s with that setup...which is where things start to get...interesting, when it comes to boats and hydrodynamics.

apache88
06-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Those boats were designed to run safely and perform well with a specific amount of horsepower thus the maximum horsepower list on the plate. A dealer back in the day would not install a motor bigger than the suggested horsepower. However you can put anything you want on it but keep a few things in mind when you do . Consider engine height on the transom, the type of steering you want (mechanical vs hydraulic) and prop selection. The 200 is about the same weight as a 150 so you won't have to strengthen the transom. Setup properly that boat probably will run in the high 60's to low 70's. What you want to sounds pretty reasonable. I'm not sure about navigation laws where you live. In New York State they are mainly concerned about making certain you carry necessary safety items. You might want to check before you proceed Good Luck