Thread: Engine exhaust

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1991 Baja 260
    Thanks

Re: Engine exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by tablerocker View Post
    I've only seen actual mufflers on one boat in my entire life, and that was a 1990 or so Arriva. What style and make are yours? Got pictures?
    ​I just got the boat out of storage. I will get you a pic as soon as I can.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1991 Baja 260
    Thanks

Thank Guys. Your awsome

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2000 Baja 212 Islander, 383 MPI
    Thanks

So besides better sound, when removing the mufflers from the exhaust, do you gain any rpm's? meaning are there any power gains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stude; 03-13-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2000 Baja 212 Islander, 383 MPI
    Thanks

So, I'm on my third year with the longer angle cut tips. Ever since I put these on, my exhaust has a funny resonating sound except at the higher rpms. It almost sounds like a miss. The original tips were almost flush to the transom with the big external flappers and engine sounded great with them. I've checked everything out, engine runs smooth, and with exhaust closed, it sounds normal. It was still in the back of my mind that something might be wrong until I saw and heard another 212 Islander on vacation. When it took off it sounded just like mine. It had the longer tips on it too. It must just be the way the sound resonates off the transom and the swim platform with the longer tips. I got a chance to talk to the guy a little while I was down there. His was a 99 with a 454. Has anyone else experienced this? I think sometime this season I'll be putting the other tips back on. I think I'd rather have the cool sound verses the looking tips.

Baja Supporter jefflee1988sunsport's Avatar
    Boat

1994 BAJA 272 performance 596 merlin / dart 4 750 hp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stude View Post
    So, I'm on my third year with the longer angle cut tips. Ever since I put these on, my exhaust has a funny resonating sound except at the higher rpms. It almost sounds like a miss. The original tips were almost flush to the transom with the big external flappers and engine sounded great with them. I've checked everything out, engine runs smooth, and with exhaust closed, it sounds normal. It was still in the back of my mind that something might be wrong until I saw and heard another 212 Islander on vacation. When it took off it sounded just like mine. It had the longer tips on it too. It must just be the way the sound resonates off the transom and the swim platform with the longer tips. I got a chance to talk to the guy a little while I was down there. His was a 99 with a 454. Has anyone else experienced this? I think sometime this season I'll be putting the other tips back on. I think I'd rather have the cool sound verses the looking tips.
    ever since i got it back from the rebuild,and that was new tips with flaps i always here something different then before weather it is the flaps making a noise or a different sound to the motor . do not know how to describe it but i have even posted a video of it running at the dock and it is different. the prop shop you sent me to a few years ago really did a great job this time . rpm are up and not a vibration at all ,thanks again .have fun

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco neutral box, Imco -3 Shorty, 380 K Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jefflee1988sunsport View Post
    ever since i got it back from the rebuild,and that was new tips with flaps i always here something different then before weather it is the flaps making a noise or a different sound to the motor . do not know how to describe it but i have even posted a video of it running at the dock and it is different. the prop shop you sent me to a few years ago really did a great job this time . rpm are up and not a vibration at all ,thanks again .have fun
    The flaps knock back n forth in the tips. No biggie, I got the same sounds

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "Fine Whine"

Baja Supporter jefflee1988sunsport's Avatar
    Boat

1994 BAJA 272 performance 596 merlin / dart 4 750 hp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyOutlaw View Post
    The flaps knock back n forth in the tips. No biggie, I got the same sounds

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

that is what i was hearing for a while and kept looking for something loose until i figured out it was the flaps doing there job.should have asked that question first instaed of looking for that noise for the first month back.