wakezoneinsurance

Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Switching from Carb to Fuel Injection on Baja 260 with 454?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Boat

    1993 Baja 260
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Switching from Carb to Fuel Injection on Baja 260 with 454?

    Hey guys, as my title states I was curious if this could even be achieved. I have always thought it would be nice to have a fuel injected engine. The boat is a 1993 Baja 260 with the Mercruiser 454. Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Kyle

  2. #2
    Baja Supporter tablerocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    near Wichita, Kansas, USA
    Boat

    1992 Baja 208 Islander
    Posts
    1,882
    Thanks
    628
    Thanked 603 Times in 449 Posts

    Re: Switching from Carb to Fuel Injection on Baja 260 with 454?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksstang View Post
    Hey guys, as my title states I was curious if this could even be achieved. I have always thought it would be nice to have a fuel injected engine. The boat is a 1993 Baja 260 with the Mercruiser 454. Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Kyle
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...fuel-injection

    A quick search shows many options including the above.

    Why would it be "nice" to have a fuel injected engine, pray tell?
    Table Rock Lake is my home away from home, and big block power rules.

  3. #3
    Baja Supporter SEA-NYLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Brewerton, NY
    Boat

    1997 BAJA 272
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 134 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: Switching from Carb to Fuel Injection on Baja 260 with 454?

    Easily achieved. Keep a close eye on ebay, Craigslist and Offshore Only.com. There are 454 EFI & MPI Mercury "take off" systems that pop up for sale regularly. People upgrade their engines with a blower, etc, then put this stuff up for sale.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Adam
    '97 BAJA 272
    Oneida Lake, NY

  4. #4
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Boat

    1993 Baja 260
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: Switching from Carb to Fuel Injection on Baja 260 with 454?

    Quote Originally Posted by tablerocker View Post
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...fuel-injection

    A quick search shows many options including the above.

    Why would it be "nice" to have a fuel injected engine, pray tell?
    I think the main reason being technology. Another I can think of would be ease of starting. My 260 with the 454 has always been tough to start if it sits longer than a week. You have to crank and crank and crank on it before it'll fire. I don't know whether its the carb that needs work, or what exactly. I just thought the fuel injection would solve some of those issues, and be a fun little project switching it over.

  5. #5
    Baja Supporter Nailit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Boat

    1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Posts
    1,154
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 389 Times in 262 Posts

    Re: Switching from Carb to Fuel Injection on Baja 260 with 454?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksstang View Post
    I think the main reason being technology. Another I can think of would be ease of starting. My 260 with the 454 has always been tough to start if it sits longer than a week. You have to crank and crank and crank on it before it'll fire. I don't know whether its the carb that needs work, or what exactly. I just thought the fuel injection would solve some of those issues, and be a fun little project switching it over.
    I agree with the starting!! Gotta love just turning the key, hearing a buzz and the pumps prime and voila!! Every time!!! I am a professional youtube mechanic after being on my 2nd and 3rd 454 mag mpis! Get a programmer so you can read codes as well! Helps eliminate some guess work!

  6. #6
    Baja Supporter tablerocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    near Wichita, Kansas, USA
    Boat

    1992 Baja 208 Islander
    Posts
    1,882
    Thanks
    628
    Thanked 603 Times in 449 Posts

    Re: Switching from Carb to Fuel Injection on Baja 260 with 454?

    My carb'd 454 starts literally at one-half revolution...it is instantaneous.
    All my boating friends are like, "HOW THE HELL does that start so instantly??"
    I just tell them, "Good old Japanese (Yamaha) technology", lol.

    So yeah...I simply can't imagine having to crank and crank and crank...
    Table Rock Lake is my home away from home, and big block power rules.

  7. #7
    Baja Supporter JerseyOutlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Boat

    2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco x box, 280 Planes, Full Hyd.
    Posts
    3,441
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 882 Posts

    Re: Switching from Carb to Fuel Injection on Baja 260 with 454?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksstang View Post
    I think the main reason being technology. Another I can think of would be ease of starting. My 260 with the 454 has always been tough to start if it sits longer than a week. You have to crank and crank and crank on it before it'll fire. I don't know whether its the carb that needs work, or what exactly. I just thought the fuel injection would solve some of those issues, and be a fun little project switching it over.
    The carb needs to be rebuilt. The fuel sitting in the carb is leaking into the motor, flooding the motor and draining the carb. I had my 1050 done, floats, accelerator pumps, powervalves, tap the key and it fires.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "Fine Whine"

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyOutlaw For This Useful Post:

    tablerocker (09-03-2017)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •