Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: 20ft Outlaw or Hotshot

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1994 Hotshot n/a
    Thanks

20ft Outlaw or Hotshot

Hi friends, question? I have a 20ft Hotshot that was converted to a 5.7 260hp. It has the 1.80 ratio Alpha drive on it. Im increasing power to around 400hp. I've added 280 trim tabs already. Questions are anyone have a similar build? Top speed? What prop running? Any other advise?

Boat

1992 Baja 208 Islander
    Thanks

Re: 20ft Outlaw or Hotshot

Damn! That's some serious ponies for that hull...should be uh, "interesting".

Some observations I'll throw out there garnered over 35 years of boating -

• depending on torque curve, that much hp will probably trash that Alpha. A friend of mine has a 19' Carlson Signature Series that he put a built (~400 hp) 383 stroker engine in. He killed two Alphas before he switched to a Bravo One, no problems since. Is it small block or big block power you're going with?
    • same boat would run 74 - 78 mph but was a handful at those speeds. He about lost it more times than I can count (of course he's one of those guys that only knows ONE speed: WOT, lol!) Point is...be very careful. You simply don't have much hull in the water, nor was it made for those speeds.
    • If you keep the Alpha and 1.84:1 gears you'll probably be able to run a 23" - 24" pitch prop pretty easy, likely even larger. A 23" prop will give you around 64 mph, a 25" about 70, assuming a conservative 10% slip.

What prop is on it now? What performance does it have now - top speed, rpm, holeshot characteristics, etc?
    Table Rock Lake is my home away from home, and big block power rules.

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco neutral box, Imco -3 Shorty, 380 K Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: 20ft Outlaw or Hotshot

Quote Originally Posted by Jf5109 View Post
    Hi friends, question? I have a 20ft Hotshot that was converted to a 5.7 260hp. It has the 1.80 ratio Alpha drive on it. Im increasing power to around 400hp. I've added 280 trim tabs already. Questions are anyone have a similar build? Top speed? What prop running? Any other advise?
    Hydraulic steering, you'll be up against chine walk in a shallow deadrise hull.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    "Fine Whine"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyOutlaw For This Useful Post:

tablerocker (12-26-2017)