Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Props sent out for repair and a little adjustment!!

Share/Bookmark
    Boat

2000 Baja 272
    Thanks

Re: Props sent out for repair and a little adjustment!!

Quote Originally Posted by jefflee1988sunsport View Post
    would have loved to be in the water already on your test run, some how i am going to make time to load the 272 and start meeting you guys,love reading your threads ,keep them coming thanks
    I usually get together with some friends in Orange Beach Al for a week in June. Trailer on down and enjoy the emerald waters, or trailer down to Kentucky lake and boat on down I’ve made that run 3 or 4 times when I was living up north

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nailit View Post
    Ok.. went run boat today. Other than batteries were low and idle rpms was a little high.. come to find out, when I closed exhaust, it dropped the gauges back to 600 from 8-900. Odd. They sounded like they were idling the same 600.. I dont remember them being high when I left, but didnt really notice as the sounded normal. They were probably normal as I would have probably noticed as I was watching volt, temp and oil pressure as left the dock.

Engines ran great... props felt better and didnt need as much trim and rpms matched again. Had to figure that out as I would trim like I normally did, and had to trim down a lil and picked up a cpl mph. They rode higher with bow up.

With that said, I didnt see the gains I was expecting. I did have 1 prop about 100 rpms higher from the other, so that seems what I am missing now they they were repaired and matched. Only 49 or so at 3800, and topped out at 66.5 with just me, lil over 1/2 fuel and 70 degrees.. Was a little windy, but made for some good chop to test.

Haven’t checked slip yet, but emailed Cutting edge and will probably send back and get him to try again.

Then I got home and changed oil in both drives/motors!! Royal purple in drives looked almost brand new and just a lil dust on bottom magnets! Happy about that!!

To be continued!

Oh, if you dont have a little pump to do the drives, this is a MUST HAVE!! Lock trigger and sit back. At about 2 qts or so, you have to stop and plug the top, then let her go again till it gets to the reservoir on the engine. Easy!!!! Its not super fast, so I had the engine oil sucking through the dip stick as I went.

[/IMG]
    Spoke to Auggie this a.m.

I will be shipping props back tomorrow. While they were balanced and felt the added bow lift, we discussed adding more pitch back to pull 200-250 rpms off to get me where I want to be. (Remember, they were labbed before so this was just fix some edges and adjust rpm)

OH.. figured out my guage issue. S alternator is really low voltage, so I will check the terminals and replace alternator if needed! Low rpms switching exhaust on was enough to alter the gauge! Battery was still good, so I guess its putting out something just not enough to support anything else.
    Last edited by Nailit; 03-05-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Baja Supporter jefflee1988sunsport's Avatar
    Boat

1994 BAJA 272 performance 596 merlin / dart 4 750 hp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kefurr View Post
    I usually get together with some friends in Orange Beach Al for a week in June. Trailer on down and enjoy the emerald waters, or trailer down to Kentucky lake and boat on down I’ve made that run 3 or 4 times when I was living up north

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i will be going to Kentucky lake this year since i found out i have cousin that has a house on the lake and only use it ounce a year so keep me in mind for that one

Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Props should be on there way today. Should... have by friday.

Spoke to Auggie. he said he added 1” of pitch and added it in the middle of the blade to help with the slip created when he added the addition cup to lift the bow. ? Who knows... will see. Regardless, I will drop a couple hundred rpms to get my cruise rpm down!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nailit For This Useful Post:

stude (03-14-2018)

Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Hhmm!!
    Went run the boat today. Boat ran great.... But rpms were the same as previous run!!

I did figure out that I was trimming up too much and now I only need a little positive trim at cruise for my best speed. 50 @ 3800 and just over 66 (66.4) at around 5050 depending on how much I trimmed out. The props do hold the bow up very well with lil trim, was surprised at how little positive trim I needed at cruise.

So basically NO DIFFERENCE from when I got them back. Will email Auggie in the a.m. so I can refer back to my original email and detail and then call him back. Will see where this goes before I make any more comments.

UPDATE>>> Auggie called me back within 5 minutes of my email. Still claims he added 1” pitch, he also sounded confused as he said he personally added the pitch to the top of the blades. Wants me to send back to redo... again.. Wife might want to take boat out Sunday, so I may have to wait to send back.
    Last edited by Nailit; 05-08-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Sent my props back to Cutting Edge today. They should arrive Thursday.

I need at least 1in of pitch added to get my cruise rpm down at 50. Auggie should call me when he gets the props. I spoke to him previously but want to get my pitch back, at least 1” or maybe a lil over that since I was over 5000 without trimming out. Id be fine with 4800 wot if my cruise as closer to 3500 at 50mph. (50mph is my 90% running speed)

Headed in Indy 500 this weekend, so we definitely will not need props, so I figured it was the perfect time.
    Last edited by Nailit; 05-21-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nailit View Post
    Sent my props back to Cutting Edge today. They should arrive Thursday.

I need at least 1in of pitch added to get my cruise rpm down at 50. Auggie should call me when he gets the props. I spoke to him previously but want to get my pitch back, at least 1” or maybe a lil over that since I was over 5000 without trimming out. Id be fine with 4800 wot if my cruise as closer to 3500 at 50mph. (50mph is my 90% running speed)

Headed in Indy 500 this weekend, so we definitely will not need props, so I figured it was the perfect time.

Got my props back this week! Look good as always and I can tell he did some work to them as there are some new buff marks. Hopefully, they will drop my rpms by 2-250!

OH.. The Indy trip was awesome, HOT as hell though! It was 92 degrees!! Holy Fak, then they had told us to wear business casual and our seats were in the grand stands... They let us wear jeans, but it was hot, good thing they don't have the humidity that we have down here, when we got back to NO it was 86 and felt a lot hotter.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nailit For This Useful Post:

JerseyOutlaw (06-07-2018)

Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Props sent out for repair and a little adjustment!!

Well, at least I got to run the props today. Family didn’t want to go out in wind. It was a lil rough 2fters with the occasional 3-4 rollers.

When I tried to test wot, I was able to only pull 4800 or so at 64.6 BUT as I was hitting the big rollers, I kept blowing out. Weird feeling hauling butt across the tops of the waves and blowing out ever couple of seconds.

It was real windy, but can tell my rpms were adjusted and I have a lot of cup.
    Did Run about 49.6 or so at 3650 when I found some “not so rough” water, but was bouncing across the waves and couldn’t trim up much.

So props were definitely better, but will need to wait another day to get final numbers.
    Based on rough prop slip calculations, I should have gained an inch which puts me at 24.5pitch.

I’ll add final numbers once we can take boat out again in better weather!
    Last edited by Nailit; 06-17-2018 at 02:51 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nailit For This Useful Post:

JerseyOutlaw (06-20-2018)