Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2008 Baja 202 Islander
    Thanks

Re: Moving from Fresh to Saltwater!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCtsV View Post
    Brupska, welcome to Florida!

I am just north of you in Palm Harbor. Been here for 15 years after finally realizing Wisconsin is too damn cold.

1st thing you need to be aware of is that we have a lot of shallow water. I got grounded my very first time out.
    A good chartplotter is your best friend!
    If you head north up the intercoastal you will find Clearwater Beach, Honeymoon Island, 3 Rooker and Anclote islands. I am just east of 3 Rooker with my 340 Sportfish.
    Don't know if you fish, but there's some great fishing around here! Good luck!

I couldn't believe how shallow the water is here!!! We put in at low tide!! 2.5 feet at the boat ramp!! Yes, My prop was turning up sand!!!! I have only been out of the channels once at high tide!!! The channel markers where misleading !!! So we have been out several times!!! Lots of minimum wake zones!! I need a 4 blade prop here for all the low speed stuff!!! We are also looking for a bigger boat soon! If that can't happen. I am going to also get switchable exhaust!! I get tired of hearing that low speed drone at 1500 rpm for a hour at a time!!! LOL We have went as far north as Clearwater beach and South almost to the Sky Way Bridge!! Water was to rough to go out in the Gulf or get to the Sky Way. We also ran out of time because all the low speed running!! We love it down here though!!! We can't wait to go out on Saturday and then the Tampa Bay Boat show on Sunday!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brupska For This Useful Post:

jefflee1988sunsport (03-01-2019)

Boat

2000 Baja 212 Islander, 383 MPI
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brupska View Post
    I couldn't believe how shallow the water is here!!! We put in at low tide!! 2.5 feet at the boat ramp!! Yes, My prop was turning up sand!!!! I have only been out of the channels once at high tide!!! The channel markers where misleading !!! So we have been out several times!!! Lots of minimum wake zones!! I need a 4 blade prop here for all the low speed stuff!!! We are also looking for a bigger boat soon! If that can't happen. I am going to also get switchable exhaust!! I get tired of hearing that low speed drone at 1500 rpm for a hour at a time!!! LOL We have went as far north as Clearwater beach and South almost to the Sky Way Bridge!! Water was to rough to go out in the Gulf or get to the Sky Way. We also ran out of time because all the low speed running!! We love it down here though!!! We can't wait to go out on Saturday and then the Tampa Bay Boat show on Sunday!!!
    So it sounds like you really miss Indiana boating lol. It must be nice to get in your boat and actually go somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stude For This Useful Post:

brupska (03-03-2019)

Charter Member #43
    Boat

2003 Baja 342 Performance
    Thanks

I'll bet the Skyway is weird going under it. That thing is soooo huge.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2008 Baja 202 Islander
    Thanks

I wish we could have made it under the skyway bridge!! Water to rough and running out of time!! Lots of idle zones here. Plan your trips at 5 to 7 mph average.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2008 Baja 202 Islander
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith342 View Post
    I'll bet the Skyway is weird going under it. That thing is soooo huge.
    This as close as we could get!! Lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to brupska For This Useful Post:

JerseyOutlaw (03-04-2019)

Boat

2000 Baja 212 Islander, 383 MPI
    Thanks

Looks pretty rough. Those are pretty slow speeds, that would take a long time to get anywhere . And for me that would be a lot of v bottom wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baja Supporter jefflee1988sunsport's Avatar
    Boat

1994 BAJA 272 performance 596 merlin / dart 4 750 hp
    Thanks

have you tried the other direction toward fort myers,i watch the live web cams all the time at work and the water is almost glass toward the coast line.do not worry about the rough waters at this time of year,it will get better, i lived there for 10 years.if you were on lake michigan you would be stuck on a block of ice lol and soon 10 foot waves ,so for now having to slow down a little but being on my boat would be great,, good luck ,it will get a lot better.have you drove up and down on that bridge yet ,,feels like strait up and strait down.ever since the old one got knocked down by a barge with many people and some trucks that went down ,my grandmother made my grandfather go all the way around to I75 ,about a extra hour.it is pretty similar to mackinac bridge.
    Last edited by jefflee1988sunsport; 03-05-2019 at 09:19 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jefflee1988sunsport For This Useful Post:

Kefurr (03-05-2019)

Baja Supporter jefflee1988sunsport's Avatar
    Boat

1994 BAJA 272 performance 596 merlin / dart 4 750 hp
    Thanks

My mistake ,macinac is longer but not as steep but is is cool to under the bridge

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2004 Baja 340 Sportfish
    Thanks

You will have plenty of calm days coming where you can venture under the skyway bridge and further in all directions. I still remember my first time under the bridge. For some odd reason it was like a bucket list thing for me to do, after having been over the bridge so many times.

If you have made it as far north as Clearwater, things open up just north of there. You can run at a good clip, only slowing for the no wake under the Honeymoon Island causeway bridge.

Once past the bridge no wake you can make good time all the way up to 3 Rooker Bar (island) and Anclote Key. There are always boats backed in and anchored up at the islands. Plenty of room to park on weekdays, gets a little packed on weekends.