Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: What exactly is a poker run

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Supporter jefflee1988sunsport's Avatar
    Boat

1994 BAJA 272 performance 596 merlin / dart 4 750 hp
    Thanks

What exactly is a poker run

was hoping someone could ex-plane to me a little about what is a poker run and witch one would i be able to meat more of you guys in person. i have been on lake charleviox and love that lake.never been at st Clair and bought my boat at the Cumberland in Jamestown.is this considered racing your boat or a event also wondering how bad the breakdown percentage is at these events considering you are pushing your boat to it limits at times. also is there winners or is it just about the fun.every picture i see , it seems they are crowded so is it hard to get a room or do you sleep on the boat,and does the boat stay in the water or on the trailer at night.would love to hear from you guys about the one i can plan for and more details, thanks.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2000 Baja 29 Outlaw
    Thanks

Re: What exactly is a poker run

Following

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1996 Baja TWC
    Thanks

From what I know each boat would follow a route that included five stops or check points. At these stops each boat would pick up a playing card in a sealed envelope. After the race or maybe at an evening ceremony or dinner a master of ceremonies posts the five cards for each boat under the name of the boat, and the winner, of course, is the boat with the highest poker hand. The winnings can be just about anything or most often for charity. Also the fastest boat is not necessarily the winner..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 96TWC For This Useful Post:

jefflee1988sunsport (10-14-2018), JerseyOutlaw (10-17-2018)

Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96TWC View Post
    From what I know each boat would follow a route that included five stops or check points. At these stops each boat would pick up a playing card in a sealed envelope. After the race or maybe at an evening ceremony or dinner a master of ceremonies posts the five cards for each boat under the name of the boat, and the winner, of course, is the boat with the highest poker hand. The winnings can be just about anything or most often for charity. Also the fastest boat is not necessarily the winner..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

does a fast boat help

Boat

2000 Baja 272
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jefflee1988sunsport View Post
    does a fast boat help
    Damn sure canít hurt!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kefurr For This Useful Post:

jefflee1988sunsport (10-14-2018)

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

We have done a few of them. Sometimes we join, others we just stop at the spots we want to. Most arenít a race, but fast boats will stretch their legs. Some have cards at each stop, have stamped a card before and another one we have done just gave you 7 cards at the last stop and you could buy a couple more.

You dont need a fast boat, just a boat that can really handle the water and be able to make it to all the stops and usually spending some time there, whether to grab a beer, talk boats, look at bikinis or whatever and make it to the end.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nailit For This Useful Post:

jefflee1988sunsport (10-14-2018)

Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nailit View Post
    We have done a few of them. Sometimes we join, others we just stop at the spots we want to. Most arenít a race, but fast boats will stretch their legs. Some have cards at each stop, have stamped a card before and another one we have done just gave you 7 cards at the last stop and you could buy a couple more.

You dont need a fast boat, just a boat that can really handle the water and be able to make it to all the stops and usually spending some time there, whether to grab a beer, talk boats, look at bikinis or whatever and make it to the end.

that sounds like fun, i have seen or read threads when members from this site get together and seem to make lasting relations and have a great time. so hopefully next season maybe i can join in and have some fun.

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jefflee1988sunsport View Post
    that sounds like fun, i have seen or read threads when members from this site get together and seem to make lasting relations and have a great time. so hopefully next season maybe i can join in and have some fun.
    Several of the Larger Poker Runs in the country and certainly the ones we read about all get the big fast boats, Desert Storm, Lake Cumberland in the past, Jacksonville, Key West, to name a few are often attended by big fast boats, Obviously the faster your boat will go the faster you want to go so most will push their boats for some time. The past few years have seen several deaths caused in part, due to speed, in my opinion and have spoiled the fun that most normal boat owners find at these events. I have attended several "poker Runs" and while I have run my boat at WOT during part of these events, conditions like weather, boat wake, other drivers make it a necessity to be at the top of your game when running at speed in those conditions as you will find boats coming by you at various speeds and not far off your sides in some cases. My boat is no where near the fastest but I do enjoy running the cobwebs out of the injectors so I would say I am probably in the middle of the pack.

Often times the reason for the Poker Run is for a charity event, and social gathering, and allow to folks to enjoy their boats. Many are one day events but folks will stay the weekend as Driver meetings may be on Friday night and the post party on Saturday may run late so folks stay the weekend. Many sleep on their boats and often times there is a motel near by that the event staff has gotten rates for so you can choose. Other than that there are typically 5-6 stops and if you want to spend a few extra bucks you can buy another card. Typically the top 3 hands will get some type of pay out depending on how much money was raised. Every boat draws or is given their cards at each stop and it is supposed to be random so anyone can win from the tortoise to the hare.

I have been to several runs and made friends at all of them. The Lake St Clair run was by far my favorite event. It was not a poker run but just a gathering event full of boats and like minded folks and a blast and a life time of friends made.
    Because without beer things just dont seem to go as well

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anchorman For This Useful Post:

jefflee1988sunsport (10-16-2018), JerseyOutlaw (10-17-2018)

Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Several of the Larger Poker Runs in the country and certainly the ones we read about all get the big fast boats, Desert Storm, Lake Cumberland in the past, Jacksonville, Key West, to name a few are often attended by big fast boats, Obviously the faster your boat will go the faster you want to go so most will push their boats for some time. The past few years have seen several deaths caused in part, due to speed, in my opinion and have spoiled the fun that most normal boat owners find at these events. I have attended several "poker Runs" and while I have run my boat at WOT during part of these events, conditions like weather, boat wake, other drivers make it a necessity to be at the top of your game when running at speed in those conditions as you will find boats coming by you at various speeds and not far off your sides in some cases. My boat is no where near the fastest but I do enjoy running the cobwebs out of the injectors so I would say I am probably in the middle of the pack.

Often times the reason for the Poker Run is for a charity event, and social gathering, and allow to folks to enjoy their boats. Many are one day events but folks will stay the weekend as Driver meetings may be on Friday night and the post party on Saturday may run late so folks stay the weekend. Many sleep on their boats and often times there is a motel near by that the event staff has gotten rates for so you can choose. Other than that there are typically 5-6 stops and if you want to spend a few extra bucks you can buy another card. Typically the top 3 hands will get some type of pay out depending on how much money was raised. Every boat draws or is given their cards at each stop and it is supposed to be random so anyone can win from the tortoise to the hare.

I have been to several runs and made friends at all of them. The Lake St Clair run was by far my favorite event. It was not a poker run but just a gathering event full of boats and like minded folks and a blast and a life time of friends made.

that sounds great so i will be watching to see what members will be going and where and will look forward to getting more involved ,it seems like when i meet the people in this club and meet up for the day ,its always a great day.going out all day with jeff and meeting stude on wawasee was fun so looking forward to this