Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Outlaw 496 Battery Question?

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2006 Baja 25 Outlaw sst
    Thanks

Outlaw 496 Battery Question?

In my 2006 Outlaw, I run 2 exide dual batteries, supposed to be good for starting, and deep cycle use, but it seems only one ever stays charged, even with the selector switch to both. I run a pretty powerful stereo when coving, pulling them down. Any suggestions?

Boat

2001 BAJA 302
    Thanks

Re: Outlaw 496 Battery Question?

Quote Originally Posted by HotnNauti View Post
    In my 2006 Outlaw, I run 2 exide dual batteries, supposed to be good for starting, and deep cycle use, but it seems only one ever stays charged, even with the selector switch to both. I run a pretty powerful stereo when coving, pulling them down. Any suggestions?
    First off, you're posting this in the wrong section for technical help. The post will potentially be missed by many members. Maybe an admin can move it?

In my industry, Exide has a very weak reputation for durability, performance and longevity. I would start with the basics and have both batteries load tested to see if they're any good. Especially the one that keeps getting pulled down. I would then check "ALL" battery/power/ground connections to make sure that everything is clean and tight. And I mean everything... This also includes the battery/Perko selector switch. I had one burn up on me last year and left me stranded. Make sure full power is going through it! Alternator putting out enough to recover?

Another thing to consider... If using a high power draw while tied up, don't use "both" or "1+2" on your battery selector. One of these days you'll get skunked and both batteries will be dead. Use battery #1 to start and get to your destination. When parked, then use #2 as a house battery. Alternate between #1 and #2 BEFORE you go out. This will keep both batteries exercised. Next time out, use #2 as a starting battery, then use #1 as a house battery. You'll always have a fully charged battery to get home.

It's possible that you don't have enough reserve capacity, or enough battery (batteries too small) for your load requirements. CCA, cold cranking amps, really doesn't mean that much in the marine environment. Reserve capacity does. Forget about getting a 1000cca battery with only 120min of reserve. A 650cca with 200min reserve will be way better for you. Also battery size makes a huge difference. Do you have battery group series 24, or 27 in there now? Maybe converting to a group 31 with maximum reserve minutes would be best. I've also seen boats with huge stereo systems have 3, or 4 batteries.

Battery brand quality is very important. When the Exide's give up the ghost, look at Decka, Johnson Control, or Optima made brands. These manufactures also make private label brands, so look into it closely to actually see who made it. Example: Decka makes most NAPA brand batteries, etc... NO Walmart batteries!!!

Another thing to look into, is that while driving home with battery selector on "both", the trip isn't long enough for the dinky Mercury alternator to charge up the batteries. If you don't already have an onboard battery charger, get one. Plug it in when you get back home. You'll always have fresh, fully charged and maintained batteries.

The 302 I just bought last month has two brand spanking new "Ultra Power" group 24 1000cca batteries in it, with 115 reserve minutes. Very small. Certainly not enough battery power for the boat as I intend to use it. As soon as it comes out of dealer storage, I'm converting to a group 31 High Cycle 700cca, 200min reserve capacity batteries. Then installing an upper-end onboard battery charger.
    Adam
    2001 BAJA 302
    Oneida Lake, NY

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SEA-NYLE For This Useful Post:

tablerocker (02-12-2019)

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco neutral box, Imco -3 Shorty, 380 K Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HotnNauti View Post
    Are the AMPs digital Marine amps? Regular amps are power hogs, I have 3 of them. I need to go to digital amps but it's not in the budget. I have 3 batteries for this reason.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JerseyOutlaw; 02-10-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    "Fine Whine"

Boat

1992 Baja 208 Islander
    Thanks

Good points, all. It can take several hours of driving to get a pair of batteries that have been drained down even halfway recharged. And unless you've done work to your alternators, they aren't putting out anywhere near full amperage at idle...so don't assume idling for 10 minutes is really doing much of anything to "recharge" your batteries.

I too always use one battery for cranking and one as the house, i.e. 'stereo' battery. Knocking wood, but have never been skunked yet! When coving out the amps start to clip, it's time to head home, lol!
    Table Rock Lake is my home away from home, and big block power rules.

Charter Member #43
    Boat

2003 Baja 342 Performance
    Thanks

Charge them both while on shore. Top them off real good overnight. Make sure they test at or above manufacturers specs at least 12.6 volts and test a day or two later as well. Make sure they stay full.

With 496's you need to be careful, you have to maintain 12.4 volts or more. Contrary to batteries being 12 volts. If you dont, you will have problems starting and possibly even not run correctly once started EVEN WITH THE ALTERNATORS WORKING CORRECTLY. I chased several problems last season when the batteries started fine and charged. But, they were 4 years old and couldnt maintain the top level voltage or AMPs. It causes a ton of issues.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith342 For This Useful Post:

tablerocker (02-15-2019)