Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Wiring...

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Supporter
    Boat

2002 Baja 25 Outlaw
    Thanks

Wiring...

Put a new 496 stroker in a friends 96...24 outlaw...Everything works BUT turn on blowers..bilge pump switch light comes on??? Turn on bilge switch...Fire Ext green light comes on....Bilge pump nor blowers work????? They have power to them all BUT wont turn on...Always worked before we...yes two yard mechanics installed this new engine...!!!! Checked grounds..still not come on???? Where are we going wrong????.......Could it be the wire harness where the bilge pump lays on the floor and we all stood on them..breaking wires???....I dont think it is wires plugged in at the back of the engine?transom wires.....................ANY IDEAS

Mike....Tampa Bay.............

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco neutral box, Imco -3 Shorty, 380 K Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts

Re: Wiring...

Quote Originally Posted by 1stoutlaw View Post
    Put a new 496 stroker in a friends 96...24 outlaw...Everything works BUT turn on blowers..bilge pump switch light comes on??? Turn on bilge switch...Fire Ext green light comes on....Bilge pump nor blowers work????? They have power to them all BUT wont turn on...Always worked before we...yes two yard mechanics installed this new engine...!!!! Checked grounds..still not come on???? Where are we going wrong????.......Could it be the wire harness where the bilge pump lays on the floor and we all stood on them..breaking wires???....I dont think it is wires plugged in at the back of the engine?transom wires.....................ANY IDEAS

Mike....Tampa Bay.............
    Sounds like your missing a ground on the motor. Did you guys have the dash or switch panels apart? There's a ground bus bar on my 25OL hidden up under where the engine hatch hinges are. The dash was grounded there

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "Fine Whine"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyOutlaw For This Useful Post:

1stoutlaw (05-01-2019)

Baja Supporter
    Boat

2002 Baja 25 Outlaw
    Thanks

Well today....after a lot of argument....I convinced him to cut the wires off the bile pump (he thought maybe the bilge pump had a short in it) We hooked the ground and hot to the battery...bing..pump came on,,,Then we hooked the original HOT from the dash switch back to the pump and the ground from the pump to the battery/motor..yup it worked sooo I.m thinking the ground in the original wire harness is messed up somewhere.....We re-hooked the hot...ran a new ground from the bilge pump to a bus ground.....WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT the blowers wont come on...SOOOooo I guess we have to do the same thing...isolate them from the wiring harness.....keep the hot on and run new grounds???????? Why both grounds fail...we have no idea????!!!!!!! Both had hot from the harness BUT no ground?????

Thanks-----------------Mike Tampa Bay

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco neutral box, Imco -3 Shorty, 380 K Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1stoutlaw View Post
    Well today....after a lot of argument....I convinced him to cut the wires off the bile pump (he thought maybe the bilge pump had a short in it) We hooked the ground and hot to the battery...bing..pump came on,,,Then we hooked the original HOT from the dash switch back to the pump and the ground from the pump to the battery/motor..yup it worked sooo I.m thinking the ground in the original wire harness is messed up somewhere.....We re-hooked the hot...ran a new ground from the bilge pump to a bus ground.....WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT the blowers wont come on...SOOOooo I guess we have to do the same thing...isolate them from the wiring harness.....keep the hot on and run new grounds???????? Why both grounds fail...we have no idea????!!!!!!! Both had hot from the harness BUT no ground?????

Thanks-----------------Mike Tampa Bay
    Any chance you're missing the ground strap from the battery to the back of the motor? Everything in my boat was grounded to the motor and then from the back of the motor to the batteries. I have probably 6 ground wires on the back of mine motor. The engine harness only carries power and signal wires, no ground in the engine harness

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "Fine Whine"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyOutlaw For This Useful Post:

1stoutlaw (05-02-2019)

Baja Supporter
    Boat

2002 Baja 25 Outlaw
    Thanks

Nope..all the ground wires, including the battery were hooked to the back of the motor.....The only thing I can think of was when the motor was out and working in the bilge..cleaning/painting..we stepped on the wires from the bilge pump up and broke one?????? We isolated the ground to the bilge pump...went from the pump with a new ground wire....it,s working.....Have to do the same now to the blower fans..........

Thanks----Mike Tampa Bay.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1stoutlaw For This Useful Post:

JerseyOutlaw (05-02-2019)