Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Dual Battery Switch Question

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1988 Baja Hammer
    Thanks

Dual Battery Switch Question

I have a Hammer with 7.4 and dual batteries, wired through a Blue Sea brand dual battery switch. I always have plenty of power on “1” or “both” settings. When I switch it to “2” only, power is iffy, won’t crank boat. The battery on 2 is good-a 2year old Optima blue top. Today I charged both batteries to 95/100%, then checked both batteries with a meter- over 12v on each. Also over 12v each at the back of the switch and 12v on the common out wire, no matter the setting.

Here’s where it gets interesting. Set on 1, everything works-trim, accessories, fuels pump and starter. Flip switch to 2, I still have 12v at the battery, #2 in at the switch, and 12v out at the common out on the switch. Trim worked, fuel pump etc. worked. When I hit the starter, nothing happened. Common out at switch now reads 4-5v. Battery 2 still reads 12v. Input 2 at switch still reads 12v. Do these switches go bad? Or what else could be wrong? Each battery + goes to one leg of the switch, and the common out goes to starter/rear of motor. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by MattB; 05-28-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco neutral box, Imco -3 Shorty, 380 K Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,289 Posts

Re: Dual Battery Switch Question

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    I have a Hammer with 7.4 and dual batteries, wired through a Blue Sea brand dual battery switch. I always have plenty of power on “1” or “both” settings. When I switch it to “2” only, power is iffy, won’t crank boat. The battery on 2 is good-a 2year old Optima blue top. Today I charged both batteries to 95/100%, then checked both batteries with a meter- over 12v on each. Also over 12v each at the back of the switch and 12v on the common out wire, no matter the setting.

Here’s where it gets interesting. Set on 1, everything works-trim, accessories, fuels pump and starter. Flip switch to 2, I still have 12v at the battery, #2 in at the switch, and 12v out at the common out on the switch. Trim worked, fuel pump etc. worked. When I hit the starter, nothing happened. Common out at switch now reads 4-5v. Battery 2 still reads 12v. Input 2 at switch still reads 12v. Do these switches go bad? Or what else could be wrong? Each battery + goes to one leg of the switch, and the common out goes to starter/rear of motor. Thanks in advance for any help.
    My switch was bad. Try switching battery positions on the switch and see if the problem follows the battery or the switch position

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "Fine Whine"

Boat

2001 BAJA 302
    Thanks

Re: Dual Battery Switch Question

My Perko battery select switch burned up on the 272 and left me stranded. Id start there first. For piece of mind, Id change it anyways if it has any age to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Adam
    2001 BAJA 302
    Oneida Lake, NY