Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Composite decking (TREX, etc) pros and cons?

Share/Bookmark
    Boat

1992 Baja 208 Islander
    Thanks

Composite decking (TREX, etc) pros and cons?

It's time to do some repair or replacement of my decking around my pool. Twenty five years old, pressure treated lumber held up great, but needs some re-doing.

Got to thinking about maybe using composite decking, but to my amazement I've heard from friends and co-workers literal horror stories about the stuff. Hell, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, generally speaking...but maybe not?

So, my forum brothers...real-world experiences...thoughts...recommendations?

Thanks!
    Table Rock Lake is my home away from home, and big block power rules.

Baja Supporter jefflee1988sunsport's Avatar
    Boat

1994 BAJA 272 performance 596 merlin / dart 4 750 hp
    Thanks

Re: Composite decking (TREX, etc) pros and cons?

Quote Originally Posted by tablerocker View Post
    It's time to do some repair or replacement of my decking around my pool. Twenty five years old, pressure treated lumber held up great, but needs some re-doing.

Got to thinking about maybe using composite decking, but to my amazement I've heard from friends and co-workers literal horror stories about the stuff. Hell, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, generally speaking...but maybe not?

Thanks!
    after only 2 years ,mine has faded.should have went with wood and then paint with deck over from home depot, jmo

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco neutral box, Imco -3 Shorty, 380 K Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tablerocker View Post

Thanks!
    . I would go with composite Greg... I loved my composite decking at the old house. I'm in the same boat as u are, redoing the deck. I'm using lumber because I can't afford the composite. My whole yard is deck, everything, dock, it's just too much. I'm repurposing good boards and bought new, extended the deck 16" to meet the bulkhead, cut down a tree, repaired and replaced the joist... I am doing Azek composite risers and facia boards for all the verticals...

Dude, jump on Tapatalk so you can load pix.. I know it stinks but we'd like to see. I have pics, just don't wanna jack ur thread
    Last edited by JerseyOutlaw; 06-01-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    "Fine Whine"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyOutlaw For This Useful Post:

jefflee1988sunsport (06-01-2019)

Charter Member #43
    Boat

2003 Baja 342 Performance
    Thanks

I had it at my last house. I did two levels - about 1800 square feet. Yeah, it faded but it was smooth as silk. There are a few other brands that hold their color better and cost less than TREX. I think it looks classy and its kind to the feet. Its good for forever if you do it right. I do remember all the little stainless clips being a pain in the azz. We didnt screw through, we used the clip product for no visable screws. Was totally worth it in the end. Make sure the joist you are scerewing it to are in excellent condition and use the stainless screws or you will regret it later.

The HOA at my house in Georgia did the dock in Brazilian Cherry. A lot of people down here use it too. It's beautiful, kind to the feet, actually soft on the feet. It looks expensive... I think its about $1-2 more per sq ft over composite.

jefflee1988sunsport - I will bet that you could stain it. After all, its basicallt plastic mixed with wood pulp.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith342 For This Useful Post:

JerseyOutlaw (06-11-2019)