Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: 2002 Baja 342 496 Mag HO - Throttles Not Synched

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2002 Baja 342 Boss
    Thanks

2002 Baja 342 496 Mag HO - Throttles Not Synched

It seems that over the course of a year my throttles have gone completely out of synch. The port throttle is super responsive and she will max out on the pins perfectly. However, the starboard engine has slowly gotten so bad that there is about a 1"-2" difference which makes it difficult when accelerating on plane. Now the starboard engine won't max out RPM's at all. It's like it's dead once you get past about 2/3 throttle. I changed the TPS on it just as a quick fix because they're cheap but no luck. I change the spin on filter as well as the high dollar in line filters on the fuel every year as well as the spark plugs on both engines. I can't hear any misses in the engine either. Is it more than likely a cable issue or does anyone here have any ideas what would be causing this? I've read where there are screens at the cool fuel system or dirty injectors but the engines sound pretty good to my ears to be something of that magnitude but the EFI engines can be quirkly to diagnose by ear. If it is the cable, does anyone have any information/directions on how these are adjusted or just basic info on the installation of them. I have to assume it's much easier than the K-plane indicator cable I changed with the manual indicators (that was a PIA).

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco neutral box, Imco -3 Shorty, 380 K Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,315 Posts

Re: 2002 Baja 342 496 Mag HO - Throttles Not Synched

Quote Originally Posted by NautiRatII View Post
    It seems that over the course of a year my throttles have gone completely out of synch. The port throttle is super responsive and she will max out on the pins perfectly. However, the starboard engine has slowly gotten so bad that there is about a 1"-2" difference which makes it difficult when accelerating on plane. Now the starboard engine won't max out RPM's at all. It's like it's dead once you get past about 2/3 throttle. I changed the TPS on it just as a quick fix because they're cheap but no luck. I change the spin on filter as well as the high dollar in line filters on the fuel every year as well as the spark plugs on both engines. I can't hear any misses in the engine either. Is it more than likely a cable issue or does anyone here have any ideas what would be causing this? I've read where there are screens at the cool fuel system or dirty injectors but the engines sound pretty good to my ears to be something of that magnitude but the EFI engines can be quirkly to diagnose by ear. If it is the cable, does anyone have any information/directions on how these are adjusted or just basic info on the installation of them. I have to assume it's much easier than the K-plane indicator cable I changed with the manual indicators (that was a PIA).
    Check if a plug wire is off. You can pull all 8 plugs and see if it's down a cylinder

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "Fine Whine"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyOutlaw For This Useful Post:

Gregmik (09-16-2019)

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2002 Baja 342 Boss
    Thanks

Re: 2002 Baja 342 496 Mag HO - Throttles Not Synched

You called it Jersey Outlaw. Port engine #5 cylinder plug wire dangling in the wind. Thanks for the dead on online diagnostic. Helps to not be down 50 ponies!!!!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NautiRatII For This Useful Post:

Gregmik (09-16-2019), J-Time (09-25-2019), jefflee1988sunsport (09-17-2019), JerseyOutlaw (09-16-2019)