Thread: Winterizing

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1990 Baja 190 DSR
    Thanks

Winterizing

Got the Baja winterized no problem.

The Formula has been having issues. When starting up both 7.3L run fine after a little warm up. It started slowly, where the port engine when running half to full throttle then back to idle would die. I would have to put the throttle wide open to get it to start which tells me it was flooded. We thought maybe the carb was either gummed or debris kept the needle from seating. Took the carb apart cleaned it all up and put new needle and seat. Checked for leaking bowl. Did not change the float. Put it on the hose with the nose cones for the low water hookups but found out it really was not getting water (EI got warm 170). Took it to the lake and ran it. It idled fine, no over heating. Did a full power run and only got 59 out of her. When going back to idle, she died again...same issue. Took her out changed the float. Put her back in and idled out of the landing and the port engine started to over heat.... So much for testing the carb. Work has been going nutz so the boat sat for a couple weeks. Now it is getting cold. You cannot winterize unless you can push the antifreeze thru the engine. So I took the sea water pump apart....

Right now the boat is in a friends shop, in the heat waiting for me to find the time to pull both motors out.

Pics on next post.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1990 Baja 190 DSR
    Thanks

Re: Winterizing

Not much water is going to be pushed thru that. I would also have to back flush to get the pieces out as I would not be sure to get all the water. I want to take the motors out anyways as I want to clean the bilge. Maybe do a top end on both motors.

She is going to get a paint job this winter also. Something like this. Got to get rid of the teal!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gregmik For This Useful Post:

J-Time (11-04-2019), jefflee1988sunsport (11-02-2019), JerseyOutlaw (11-02-2019), tablerocker (11-03-2019)

Baja Supporter jefflee1988sunsport's Avatar
    Boat

1994 BAJA 272 performance 596 merlin / dart 4 750 hp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gregmik View Post
    Not much water is going to be pushed thru that. I would also have to back flush to get the pieces out as I would not be sure to get all the water. I want to take the motors out anyways as I want to clean the bilge. Maybe do a top end on both motors.

She is going to get a paint job this winter also. Something like this. Got to get rid of the teal!

wow ,that sounds like the problem i was having.would not pump water on the hose and went to the lake and backed it up in the water and it would work perfect.long story short, one or 2 inches with the outdrive all the way down would either not let it get water or get water,on my boat the thermostat can be removed in minutes when running it on the hose and that means less time waiting for it to open and anti freeze going threw the motor.well, my boat does not run a computer
    and most of the water i am in is cold so i just ran a restrictor plate instead of the thermostat and now she pumps water instantly weather it is on the hose or in the water and also ended up keeping the oil temp way better.

that boat is really nice ,a nice paint job can really make or break the looks of a boat but it is a incredible big job.taking the boat down and then wet sanding and buffing for a real slick flat finish is a big job also, and the cost of paint and clear coats and several different colors will break the bank or your wallet but when it is done,it is like having a brand new boat.good luck,hope it goes great .the sunsport is on its second year not in the water because of no time ,but it is down to paint only.interior is done ,motor is done and i have every thing new like rub rails ,hard ware ,lights ect so really hope to get it in the water by end of next season.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jefflee1988sunsport For This Useful Post:

Gregmik (11-03-2019)

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1990 Baja 190 DSR
    Thanks

Found a couple hrs today to take the engines out. The bilge is filthy! Lots of work to clean this mess up!

Motors and outdrives get to stay in a heated shop for the winter.....

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gregmik For This Useful Post:

96TWC (11-04-2019), J-Time (11-04-2019), jefflee1988sunsport (11-04-2019), Kefurr (11-03-2019), SEA-NYLE (11-04-2019)