Lake View

Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Aftermarket Aluminum Heads for a 500efi?

Share/Bookmark
    Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Best Aftermarket Aluminum Heads for a 500efi?

Wondering what the best heads are for a upgrade to get the most out of a 500efi? I've seen sets forsale by Ateco that claim 650hp, but not sure thats the most bang for the buck considering regardless I have to do 2 engines. So looking for something that flows the best and creates the most HP.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1998 Baja 232 Boss
    Thanks

Re: Best Aftermarket Aluminum Heads for a 500efi?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTornado View Post
    Wondering what the best heads are for a upgrade to get the most out of a 500efi? I've seen sets forsale by Ateco that claim 650hp, but not sure thats the most bang for the buck considering regardless I have to do 2 engines. So looking for something that flows the best and creates the most HP.
    Not sure about EFI but I used a set of AFR 305 aluminum on my carbed engine build.
    509, 9.1 compression, merlin single plane, 870 BM Holley carb. 600HP. I bet with the 315, 650hp be no problem. I got my set bare and had built ground up so a bit more costly but I'm sure they are flowing as best as possible. Chambers and ports looked very good, smooth with minumal blemishes. Oh and the hard anodize is great on them.

Charter Member #26
    Boat

2003 Baja 29 Outlaw w/496 mags
    Thanks

I used Edlebrok heads on my 502. For the money they are great.

Boat

Thanks

I know a few that have played with this...Once I decide to do this in a couple years I'm going to do ALOT of research to find the best setup that works without loosing reliability as this will be my last step with my setup...There's no way I'm going SC after seeing all the nightmares of my friends with drives and engines....STOCK POWER is the way to go!!!

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1993 Baja 290
    Thanks

You might want to compare Brodix & Dart pro 1 aluminum heads to those AFR heads. Look closely at the "land" area (flat surface) under the rocker arm stud. There isnt much there compared to Brodix or Dart. I have see several AFR heads break out because of high spring pressures and I will not use them on my motors. If you want to make your power and torque at a lower rpm...use something like a 308cc to 320cc on the intake runners. If you want to make more power at a higher rpm, then use a set of heads with larger runners. I dont think you want to run your motors up to 6000 rpm to make more power. Brodix...go with the BB-2Plus or Dart...go with the Dart Pro 1 310cc. Either one of these will be perfect for your motors. Whatever you choose, you will also need to change the cams to alittle larger to get the full benifit of the heads.

Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    You might want to compare Brodix & Dart pro 1 aluminum heads to those AFR heads. Look closely at the "land" area (flat surface) under the rocker arm stud. There isnt much there compared to Brodix or Dart. I have see several AFR heads break out because of high spring pressures and I will not use them on my motors. If you want to make your power and torque at a lower rpm...use something like a 308cc to 320cc on the intake runners. If you want to make more power at a higher rpm, then use a set of heads with larger runners. I dont think you want to run your motors up to 6000 rpm to make more power. Brodix...go with the BB-2Plus or Dart...go with the Dart Pro 1 310cc. Either one of these will be perfect for your motors. Whatever you choose, you will also need to change the cams to alittle larger to get the full benifit of the heads.
    Thanks for the insight Shooter. I'm just rolling ideas around. I know I'm limited by my intake to go much over 650hp, but honestly thats plenty for me. I don't want to loose reliability and am just fine with the HP increase over stock. I knew I would have to do cams as well, which is why I was looking at waiting a couple years as the springs where just replaced in these motors and honestly don't want to run them over 5300rpm's to get the 650hp out of them.

Charter Member #30
    Boat

2004 Baja 250 sportfish SOLD :(
    Thanks

Great to see you here SHOOTER. Always loved your input on engines and how willing you are to help.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1993 Baja 290
    Thanks

Smile Re: Best Aftermarket Aluminum Heads for a 500efi?

For your springs Irish...look into the type of springs that are called "Bee-Hive". I have been using them for a while after they were recommended by a good friend at Reher & Morrison. If you were to take those motors that you have now and wait until they need a refresh...then open the cylinders up to 4.600...add a 1/4 stroker crank, you will have a 565 cubic inch. Drop in a set of flat top pistons and the Brodix or Dart Pro 1 heads with a MILD cam...you will make over 650 HP and torque and be very reliable. I just finished a set of 565 motors for a guy and the motor has Dart Pro 1 full 345cc CNC heads with a healthy custom hydraulic cam. Both motors made well over 800 HP and 780 torque. If that is too much, go to my web site ( ) and look at the motor on the video of my best buds 232 Islander. The dyno sheet is there also, but check out the numbers at 5300 rpm. I built this motor 2 years ago last Easter and all Ron has done is change the oil and the plugs every 50 hours...no issues. To get 650 out of your motors now is not real hard, but it would be a piece of cake if there were more cubic inches to help. The compression is going to have to come up some on those 502 to get there.

Thanks JFM...I dont mind sharing what I know will work and make power.

Actually, I just tripped over this site the other day. Didnt even know it existed till then. Seems pretty good and I like it so far.

Just holler if you have questions or need help.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1994 Baja 236
    Thanks

Hey Shooter, did you ever get in contact with Bob RMbuilder? He can really make the engines run the best with his custom rollers. I used the Isky Endurance springs, so far so good.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1993 Baja 290
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    Hey Shooter, did you ever get in contact with Bob RMbuilder? He can really make the engines run the best with his custom rollers. I used the Isky Endurance springs, so far so good.
    Yes I have talked to Bob. I am talking with a guy for a pair of 800+ HP 565 motors for his poker run boat. If this deal goes thru, then ABSOLUTELY...Bob will do the cams.