Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tab indicator lights

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Supporter
    Boat

2000 baja performance 272
    Thanks

Tab indicator lights

There are 2 little lines of red lights that supposed to indicate exactly what position the tabs are operating in, the line of lights pertaining to the left side tab works but the lights pertaining to the tab on right side don't work just the top light and bottom light. How do I fix this or what can I do about it . any help will be much appreciated

Thanks Charlie

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Re: Tab indicator lights

Sounds like you need a new gauge. Top Notch sells Livorsi gauges. Direct replacement.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1998 Baja 232 Boss
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin-charlie View Post
    There are 2 little lines of red lights that supposed to indicate exactly what position the tabs are operating in, the line of lights pertaining to the left side tab works but the lights pertaining to the tab on right side don't work just the top light and bottom light. How do I fix this or what can I do about it . any help will be much appreciated

Thanks Charlie
    What kind do you have? Is it the digital type gauge? What kind of senders are attached to tabs? My original Bennet style tabs had the digital gauge with the big black sender mounted to ram. I guess it used some type of float magnet mechanism inside. This got suck periodically on mine. I would unbolt and shake it. It would work for a while then gauge would stop getting signal again. I finally got rid of everything and got new tabs with mechanical indicators.

Baja Supporter
    Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH1209 View Post
    What kind do you have? Is it the digital type gauge? What kind of senders are attached to tabs? My original Bennet style tabs had the digital gauge with the big black sender mounted to ram. I guess it used some type of float magnet mechanism inside. This got suck periodically on mine. I would unbolt and shake it. It would work for a while then gauge would stop getting signal again. I finally got rid of everything and got new tabs with mechanical indicators.

I looked closely and all I could find were Instatrim boat leveler mfg. they are dual ram 12x12 the gauge is about 2' round and says instatrim 200 How do I know if the gauge is what I need ? everyrthing works except three of the five lights.

Charter Member #13
    Boat

2003 Baja Boss 302 (Sold)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin-charlie View Post
    I looked closely and all I could find were Instatrim boat leveler mfg.
    Link:
    Insta-Triim

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1998 Baja 232 Boss
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firehill View Post
    Are the top and bottom on all the time on the other row? If not then it probably is the gauge. Mine were the heavy duty tabs that had the sender mounted an the outside of ram. Normal tabs looks like sender is in cylinder. I would try gauge first if you dont have the heavy duty model tabs.

Baja Supporter
    Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH1209 View Post
    Are the top and bottom on all the time on the other row? If not then it probably is the gauge. Mine were the heavy duty tabs that had the sender mounted an the outside of ram. Normal tabs looks like sender is in cylinder. I would try gauge first if you dont have the heavy duty model tabs.
    Yes the top and bottom are on all the time on both sides when you move left tab the others in between top and bottom will work, but when you move the right tab only the top and bottom work the tabs have 2 rams on each but I don't know if that is heavy duty or not, the inside ram has a thin black box about 3 " long fastened to it, if it is the gauge I will replace it but the identical gauge on ebay is $225.. so if that isn't the problem I hate to buy it.

Boat

1997 502 Baja Boss 272
    Thanks

Yes the two ram are the "heavy duty" version. This could be a connection too. I believe the connectivity is a ribbon cable to the helm. Sounds to me like the gague is working. Maybe a bad sender there on the ram as well. FWIW
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

Charter Member #27
    Boat

1994 Baja 272 w/ HP500
    Thanks

The top and bottom lights indicate that the gauge is getting power from its power source, those will NEVER go away regardless of tab position.

Most likely cause is the ribbon cable has a cut in it. I had a problem with mine as I tore mine when I was doing some work, luckily mine was close to the gauge. I have already called boat leveler, you cannot order the ribbon cable or connectors from them anymore!

First I would pull the gauge and make sure the connector did not slide off, second check around for cracks/cuts/breaks in the ribbon cable. If you have damage close to either end, you can actually just snip the wire clean, and remove the connector and put it back on. The connector has teeth that bite into the 8 or 10 wires of the ribbon cable. Plug it back in and your good to go!

Otherwise if you have a badspot in the middle of the cable or something, you will need to take a section of that cable to an electrical or computer store and see if they can order a bulk amount of ribbon for you.

Good luck!

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1998 Baja 232 Boss
    Thanks

I cant remember if it is 1 ribbon cable or 2. If it is 2, can he switch them just to check the leds. that would eliminate gauge. Then it has to be cable or sender. Can the cable be seperated from sender on ram? I would still take that sender off ram and give it a good look for crack in wire going in. Give it a good shake and see if any leds change on gauge. I worked mine by flipping up and down and started working again. Been so long since I had that type cant remeber how the cabling is.