Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: 20' Outlaw anyone?

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2008 Baja 20' Outlaw
    Thanks

20' Outlaw anyone?

Hi guys, just joined up and looked around a little. Doesn't seem to be many 20 Outlaws on the forum. Well I guess I'll try my luck with the big boys.

I have an '08 20' Outlaw, bone stock save for some nice add-ons (dual batts, trim tabs, balanced/trued 23P 3 blade, and straight through tips) and like everyone else, would like a bit more power. The boat has the 260 5.0L, Gen II Alpha and will hit a flat 60 w/ a small chop, 59.? when flat on GPS with one rider. I'd like to bump the power to around 300-310. Before I do that, I figure I'd better see what's under the hood before I dick around with it. For 305 c.i. and 260 hp, I figure the little thing is fairly hot to start with. I'd like to put on the Thumper exhaust, new cam, and mess with the computer (if I can) and possibly switch to aluminum heads. I probably have Vortec heads, but what cc are the chambers to give me 9.4:1 squeeze? And if I do go to a hotter cam, at what point is reversion a factor? I'd like to also switch to a 4 blade prop to cut down on hellacious bowlift and a better cruise (can't stay on plane at 2500 rpm). With increased power, will this put too much strain on the Alpha? Any help you give is greatly appreciated.

By the way, those of you who do have this boat, do you notice a port list with anything more than 20 lbs in the passenger seat? This boat seems to be terribly balanced, even 12" X 9" tabs don't really help.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2002 Baja 25ol
    Thanks

Re: 20' Outlaw anyone?

I don't have a 20 ol and have never ridden in one but I did own a Hammer before my 25ol. My old Hammer would chine walk like crazy at 65mph unless the tabs were down a little. Basically what I am saying is if you are going to try and go fast in a 20, make sure you have that boat set up to handle the extra hp and speed. I personally would leave it stock and just bling the Boat and put a kick azz system in it rather than try and go fast. Anyways welcome to the site!

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2005 Baja Outlaw SST
    Thanks

Tree is right. That hurt saying that. I owned one and hard on the gas I would walk like mad. It's a pretty short boat to add alot of horse to. Bling it out or save the money to move up to a bigger boat.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2008 Baja 20' Outlaw
    Thanks

I know what you're talking about. My previous boat was an '01 Hammer, 7.4 MPI. Should've never sold that boat but it to walked at top speed, but only with the drive way to high. The wife loved it but skipping across an oncoming wake would get the pucker-factor up to about 8. I'm not looking for too much more power, about 320 max. If I could get the Hammer's speed of 65 I'd be giddy, 62- 63 mph is about right. I mainly want the cam just to hear it talk to me. I lost my left arm in the service, so 70mph isn't what I'm looking for, just a little more. A local here put a Whipple on his 5.0 MPI and gets around 70. Problem is he can't run WOT for more than 5 minutes without setting off alarms. Don't know who did the install.

I'm guessing I'm the only one here without a Bravo so asking what everyone thinks about upgrading to a 4-blade with my Gen-II may be pointless? But does anyone have any insight on that? And talking about the boat having poor balance, I've considered moving both batteries to the starboard side and in front of the helm, any ideas on that? And finally, can anyone give some insight on the Lenco electric tabs, 1.5" travel?

Thanks again

BTW; upgraded stereo is in the works!!!