Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help on a new boat purchase

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2008 Baja Outlaw SST
    Thanks

Help on a new boat purchase

I was hoping for a little insight as my boat deal is heading south quick, here goes:
    New 2008 23' Baja Outlaw SST 496 375 HP-$52,995
    I am getting $25,000 for my trade- 2001 Glacier Bay Twin Suzuki DF 115 Four Strokes
    It will cost me another $6,000 to get out of my boat. I just had her worked on so add in another $750.00. Here is the kicker, the ECM failed on one motor so now it will cost me another $1200, which is now making the deal less attractive.
    So in essence I am trading my boat plus kicking in $8,000. The way I look at it Iam paying $61,000 to get into the Baja. Any thoughts on this deal? Any constructive comments would be appreciated. Iam starting to feel like I could do better if I keep looking.

Thanks.

Boat

Boatless For Now .
    Thanks

Re: Help on a new boat purchase

With the trade in involved it is hard to see what you are really paying for the Baja. I am personally not a fan of buying a "New" boat that is already over two years old. I would not want to have over 60K tied up in that boat. Have you considered a used 23 or even a used 25? You would have a lot less tied up in it and not paying a premium for a two year old "New" boat.

A used boat, properly cared for, and inspected before purchase would make much more sense to me.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2008 Baja Outlaw SST
    Thanks

Thanks. I have been thinking about going the used boat route, but didn't want to be a 2 boat owner. That was what made the trade so appealing. It seemed like a reasonable price for a 2008. I found a few 2006 used ones in the $30k-$40k range. One seller paid $60k for his 2006, and this 2008 was $52,995 with bigger powerplant. It's 2 years newer, warrantied and brand new. Still up in the air! I appreciate your thoughts. Great boat by the way.

Boat

Boatless For Now .
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBreaker View Post
    Thanks. I have been thinking about going the used boat route, but didn't want to be a 2 boat owner. That was what made the trade so appealing. It seemed like a reasonable price for a 2008. I found a few 2006 used ones in the $30k-$40k range. One seller paid $60k for his 2006, and this 2008 was $52,995 with bigger powerplant. It's 2 years newer, warrantied and brand new. Still up in the air! I appreciate your thoughts. Great boat by the way.
    If it helps give you any perspective on what you can really get one of these for, in the spring of 2007, I purchased a new 2006 25 Outlaw loaded with 35th anniversary package, HO and all the bells and whistles on a trailer for 63K.

The used market is crazy right now, lots of people upside down trying to get their money back out of boats that are worth ten to fifteen grand less than they owe on them. Likewise there are also lots of "fire sales" out there from people just trying to get out. In short the prices are all over the map. You will notice though, people asking 50-60K for used 23's have been sitting on them for a long time.

Good luck on the search and definitely keep us posted.

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBreaker View Post
    I was hoping for a little insight as my boat deal is heading south quick, here goes:
    New 2008 23' Baja Outlaw SST 496 375 HP-$52,995
    I am getting $25,000 for my trade- 2001 Glacier Bay Twin Suzuki DF 115 Four Strokes
    It will cost me another $6,000 to get out of my boat. I just had her worked on so add in another $750.00. Here is the kicker, the ECM failed on one motor so now it will cost me another $1200, which is now making the deal less attractive.
    So in essence I am trading my boat plus kicking in $8,000. The way I look at it Iam paying $61,000 to get into the Baja. Any thoughts on this deal? Any constructive comments would be appreciated. Iam starting to feel like I could do better if I keep looking.

Thanks.
    Its going to be tough if you owe that much on your existing boat. Your trying to get out of the frying pan into the frier. You will loose a tremendous amount value the minute you take it out of the shop. If you look around and find a used boat even if it is at a dealership you may be in better shape. I have bought 2 boats used and came out well on both of them.
    Because without beer things just dont seem to go as well

Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

I have to agree with Matt. There is alot more boat to be had for that kind of money.
    There are good ships, there are wood ships, there are ships that sailed the seas. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be!

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force

Charter Member #23
    Boat

2006 Baja 25 Outlaw SST
    Thanks

I'm with the rest of the gang..........search for a used 23 or 25. There are some good deals to be had out there right now. I bought my 25 new and if I had to do it all over again I would have gone with a used boat. I would have more than likely saved 15K and had more money to bling it out.

Charter Member #50
    Boat

1999 Baja 29 Outlaw
    Thanks

I'd sell my 29 Outlaw with twin 454 Mags for $60k & it runs in the mid 90's. Just so you know what else you can get for that kind of money. Not exactly apples to apples, but it is what it is.

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Idea Baja View Post
    I'd sell my 29 Outlaw with twin 454 Mags for $60k & it runs in the mid 90's. Just so you know what else you can get for that kind of money. Not exactly apples to apples, but it is what it is.
    As is for 60k with big power?
    Because without beer things just dont seem to go as well

Charter Member #50
    Boat

1999 Baja 29 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    As is for 60k with big power?
    Yup. Plus rebuilt/upgraded trailer, new suspension, brakes, 8 new wheels & 10 ply tires, life jackets, anchor, matching 4 red, 4 black & 4 white ropes, new dash. All of it, $60k.
    And just for the record, I'm not broke, getting divorced again or anything like that. I'm just bored & want a new project.