Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Subs cutting out

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1999 baja 38 special
    Thanks

Subs cutting out

I need a little help. My subs (10" JL) intermitently go on and off. I believe the battery connections are good. I don't think the amp is overheating. I'm not technical in this stuff at all. Are there things that I can check?..... Or do I need to have a pro look at it?

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Re: Subs cutting out

Don I'm betting Nightlife can tell you whats wrong he's got my system dialed in..

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2000 Baja 25 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonD. View Post
    I need a little help. My subs (10" JL) intermitently go on and off. I believe the battery connections are good. I don't think the amp is overheating. I'm not technical in this stuff at all. Are there things that I can check?..... Or do I need to have a pro look at it?
    A low battery will do that mine everytime, mids and highs will be fine but the subs will cut out if the batteries are too low.

Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

I don't have enough info to give you a solid answer. There are sveral things that could cause it.

1. The amp gain is not set correctly. If it is set to high depending on what kind of protection it has in it, if it see's distortion it could go into a protection mode.

2. Thermal shutdown. Again depends on what kind of protection it has built in.

3. Voltage.. Again depending on what kind of protection it has built in, if it see's to low a voltage it could go into protection.

4. you could have a loose connection, or a speaker voice coil that is casuing an intermitent short.

5. Could be an amp that is just being a PIA.

Give me a little more info to go on. What kind of amp, and what model. Does it only cut out when you are really jammin on it? Does it just go out for what seems like no reason at all, at any time or any volume? Does it go out after hitting a wave hard? Does it only go out for a second, and then come right back on, or do you have to power down the radio before it will turn back on.

I will give you some examples of what can cause this. My system can actually pull current fast enough to cause the radio to shut down, thus the amps shut down for a few seconds, but I really have to be getting on it to happen. I have to admit though this is only something you will se when you have amps that can draw high current.

Dave's amp have so much protection built into them that they can shut down for all kinds of reasons. The main one he was running into was that it would see voltage below 11.5 volts and then the amp would shut down. His Mid/Hi amp was much more sensitive to it, but it turned out to be a couple bad batteries caused it.

A speaker voice coil could be getting ready to go. Subs are most prone to it, especially free air subs. They can get a crack in one of the windings that once it gets to the right temp opens up. Then amp sees a dead short and goes into protection. A few seconds latter the coil cools off and the short goes away and the amp will work again.

What you can try to do is isolate when it shuts off. Make sure all the connections are good at the amp, where the power and ground connect, and all speaker connections are soild with no strands of wire sticking out that could cause a short. Another thing to check is the signal wires, they can get breaks in them as well. Boats being what they are they will cause breaks in wire and curcuit boards that you would not expect.
    There are good ships, there are wood ships, there are ships that sailed the seas. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be!

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1999 baja 38 special
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightlife View Post
    I don't have enough info to give you a solid answer. There are sveral things that could cause it.

1. The amp gain is not set correctly. If it is set to high depending on what kind of protection it has in it, if it see's distortion it could go into a protection mode.
    Not sure about this. If I turn down the subwoofer control on the head unit would it accomplish the same thing?
    2. Thermal shutdown. Again depends on what kind of protection it has built in.

3. Voltage.. Again depending on what kind of protection it has built in, if it see's to low a voltage it could go into protection. I don't think this is the prob. The batteries are good and I have the genset on and an 80amp charger running when parked.

4. you could have a loose connection, or a speaker voice coil that is casuing an intermitent short. I think the connections are fine, but I'll check again.

5. Could be an amp that is just being a PIA. Si

Give me a little more info to go on. What kind of amp, and what model.RF amp to the two subs. It is the oldest amp the other two are JL Does it only cut out when you are really jammin on it? Not sure, I'm always really jammin!Does it just go out for what seems like no reason at all, at any time or any volume? Does it go out after hitting a wave hard? Goes out when parkedDoes it only go out for a second, and then come right back on, or do you have to power down the radio before it will turn back on.Don't have to power down, but it will go off for a minute or so, then come back on

I will give you some examples of what can cause this. My system can actually pull current fast enough to cause the radio to shut down, thus the amps shut down for a few seconds, but I really have to be getting on it to happen. I have to admit though this is only something you will se when you have amps that can draw high current.

Dave's amp have so much protection built into them that they can shut down for all kinds of reasons. The main one he was running into was that it would see voltage below 11.5 volts and then the amp would shut down. His Mid/Hi amp was much more sensitive to it, but it turned out to be a couple bad batteries caused it.

A speaker voice coil could be getting ready to go. Subs are most prone to it, especially free air subs. They can get a crack in one of the windings that once it gets to the right temp opens up. Then amp sees a dead short and goes into protection. A few seconds latter the coil cools off and the short goes away and the amp will work again.
    So maybe I should unplug one sub and see if the problem goes away,.... then try with the other???
    What you can try to do is isolate when it shuts off. Make sure all the connections are good at the amp, where the power and ground connect, and all speaker connections are soild with no strands of wire sticking out that could cause a short. Another thing to check is the signal wires, they can get breaks in them as well. Boats being what they are they will cause breaks in wire and curcuit boards that you would not expect.
    Thanks for the reply!!!!

Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

So it sounds like it could be a thermal, protection shut down or a sub causing a short.

Ok so try turning down the sub control on the amp a bit and see if that changes anything. I am leaning towards a thermal shut down, as you said you are always jammin. May even try putting a small fan pointed at the amp and see if it stays running. It could still be a voice coil getting ready to go, but I would lean towards thermal shut down before that.
    There are good ships, there are wood ships, there are ships that sailed the seas. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be!

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1999 baja 38 special
    Thanks

Ok, Thanks! I'll try to get some time to experiment with it this weekend.
    HAPPY BOATING!

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Don did you ever figure out what was causing this?