Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Refridgerator on a boat

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1996 Baja 252
    Thanks

Refridgerator on a boat

Just bought a boat and inside the cuddy I have 2 jump seats and the bed, the porta potty is under the center seat of the bed, looking to take out one of the jump seats and add a fridge, dont have alot of room but I think I can fit one of those wine chiller slim fridges that you can buy from Lowes relatively cheap. Any ideas on this or has anyone ever done such a thing? Boat does not currently have shore power hook up so this thing would basically be on a power convertor. Do you think it will work?

Charter Member #34
    Boat

2006 Baja 405
    Thanks

Re: Refridgerator on a boat

Quote Originally Posted by Tony2Times View Post
    Just bought a boat and inside the cuddy I have 2 jump seats and the bed, the porta potty is under the center seat of the bed, looking to take out one of the jump seats and add a fridge, dont have alot of room but I think I can fit one of those wine chiller slim fridges that you can buy from Lowes relatively cheap. Any ideas on this or has anyone ever done such a thing? Boat does not currently have shore power hook up so this thing would basically be on a power convertor. Do you think it will work?
    The way most Marine Fridges work is off a AC/DC system. DC when your out AC at dock. You can run a invertor to power a fridge, but with out shore power to charge up your batterys your not going to stay running very long, if your just looking for cool beverages while your out I would suggest an Ice Chest, works much easier and wont leave you stranded.

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

+1 it's something I only use to keep lunchneat cold while I'm out. It does draw heavily on batteries when your not hooked to shorepower.

Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

Yea get a good cooler. Fridge is not very efficient, then take that you would have to get a converter and that wastes power as well. Big drain on battery for very little gain. I had a fridge in mine when I bought it. Dang thing would barely get cold after running for several hours. Ripped it out and put my stereo there. We just use coolers now.
    There are good ships, there are wood ships, there are ships that sailed the seas. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be!

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force