Malibu String Bikinis

Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Torque and HP Curves

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bessemer, Alabama
    Boat

    2001 Baja 252 Islander
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Torque and HP Curves

    Are there any torque and horsepower curves available for these engines? I would like more information that just maximum RPM and rated HP. Any specific fuel consumption figures vs RPM and load would be very nice also.

    Dan

  2. #2
    Charter Member #26
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Boat

    2003 Baja 29 Outlaw w/496 mags
    Age
    41
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: Torque and HP Curves

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    Are there any torque and horsepower curves available for these engines? I would like more information that just maximum RPM and rated HP. Any specific fuel consumption figures vs RPM and load would be very nice also.

    Dan
    When you say "these engines" I am guessing that you mean Mercury. What engine do you have? I am sure you can find the info you want on the net but, you may want to call Mercury and ask. They should have the info.

  3. #3
    Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fenton/Lake St Clair, Michigan
    Boat

    1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,561
    Thanks
    1,476
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

  4. #4
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bessemer, Alabama
    Boat

    2001 Baja 252 Islander
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Torque and HP Curves

    Well specifically I am interested in the 496 Mag (base) motor, but I figured that if a resouce has one they may have more and that would have a broader appeal. Mercury has not been much help, only the published "specs". I can't say I blame them, someone would get their engine dyno'ed and sue because that motor was 2 hp shy of the published curves. I believe what I am looking for will come from an independent source such as a tuner that did some baseline research before modifying the motors or a magazine that does independent tests. While this is common in automobile and motorcycle publications, I have not found much detail in the marine publications. Just hoping someone here had found something I had not been able to.

    Dan

  5. #5
    Charter Member #26
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Boat

    2003 Baja 29 Outlaw w/496 mags
    Age
    41
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: Torque and HP Curves

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    Well specifically I am interested in the 496 Mag (base) motor, but I figured that if a resouce has one they may have more and that would have a broader appeal. Mercury has not been much help, only the published "specs". I can't say I blame them, someone would get their engine dyno'ed and sue because that motor was 2 hp shy of the published curves. I believe what I am looking for will come from an independent source such as a tuner that did some baseline research before modifying the motors or a magazine that does independent tests. While this is common in automobile and motorcycle publications, I have not found much detail in the marine publications. Just hoping someone here had found something I had not been able to.

    Dan
    Call Raylar. They have done more R&D on the 496 than anyone. May even find the info on there site. Also may want to look at the different exhaust makers. I know that they have done a lot of research. Also read this. I read it a long time ago and thought it was interesting
    http://www.fullthrottlemarine.com/49...%20Article.htm
    Last edited by INDY; 07-19-2010 at 09:51 AM.

  6. #6
    Charter Member #5 MRBAJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frisco, Texas
    Boat

    1999 HUSTLER 388 SLINGSHOT
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,028
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 79 Times in 62 Posts

    Re: Torque and HP Curves

    Nice article Indy...thanks for sharing. I remember seeing it a long while back... Good to read again.
    DAVE -N- KELI
    "NAUTI ONE"
    SPRING, TX.

    "Keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart"...

  7. #7
    Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fenton/Lake St Clair, Michigan
    Boat

    1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,561
    Thanks
    1,476
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

    Re: Torque and HP Curves

    Quote Originally Posted by INDY View Post
    Also may want to look at the different exhaust makers. I know that they have done a lot of research. Also read this. I read it a long time ago and thought it was interesting
    http://www.fullthrottlemarine.com/49...%20Article.htm
    I was looking for that article. Tells alot of good info regarding myths about exhaust.

  8. #8
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Spicewood, Texas
    Boat

    2004 Nordic Rage
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Torque and HP Curves

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    Well specifically I am interested in the 496 Mag (base) motor, but I figured that if a resouce has one they may have more and that would have a broader appeal. Mercury has not been much help, only the published "specs". I can't say I blame them, someone would get their engine dyno'ed and sue because that motor was 2 hp shy of the published curves. I believe what I am looking for will come from an independent source such as a tuner that did some baseline research before modifying the motors or a magazine that does independent tests. While this is common in automobile and motorcycle publications, I have not found much detail in the marine publications. Just hoping someone here had found something I had not been able to.

    Dan
    Here are some prop shaft dyno numbers from a 496 Mag I recently tested. Having just registered I can't post attachments so I just have to post some numbers.

    Peak tq. 466 @ 3600, peak hp 373 @ 4800. 3000 rpm=451 tq & 258 hp, 3500 rpm=465 tq & 310 hp, 4000 rpm=456 tq & 347 hp, 4500 rpm=420 tq & 360 hp.

    Hope this helps,

    Bob Lloyd
    Full Throttle Marine

Similar Threads

  1. 1,822 hp; 6300 ft./lbs torque...can I fit it in my boat?
    By tablerocker in forum The No Wake Zone
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2016, 06:37 AM
  2. torque specs for 93 502 efi
    By Richardsm850 in forum Factory Marine Engines
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2013, 10:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •