Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Torque and HP Curves

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2001 Baja 252 Islander
    Thanks

Torque and HP Curves

Are there any torque and horsepower curves available for these engines? I would like more information that just maximum RPM and rated HP. Any specific fuel consumption figures vs RPM and load would be very nice also.

Dan

Charter Member #26
    Boat

2003 Baja 29 Outlaw w/496 mags
    Thanks

Re: Torque and HP Curves

Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    Are there any torque and horsepower curves available for these engines? I would like more information that just maximum RPM and rated HP. Any specific fuel consumption figures vs RPM and load would be very nice also.

Dan
    When you say "these engines" I am guessing that you mean Mercury. What engine do you have? I am sure you can find the info you want on the net but, you may want to call Mercury and ask. They should have the info.

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2001 Baja 252 Islander
    Thanks

Well specifically I am interested in the 496 Mag (base) motor, but I figured that if a resouce has one they may have more and that would have a broader appeal. Mercury has not been much help, only the published "specs". I can't say I blame them, someone would get their engine dyno'ed and sue because that motor was 2 hp shy of the published curves. I believe what I am looking for will come from an independent source such as a tuner that did some baseline research before modifying the motors or a magazine that does independent tests. While this is common in automobile and motorcycle publications, I have not found much detail in the marine publications. Just hoping someone here had found something I had not been able to.

Dan

Charter Member #26
    Boat

2003 Baja 29 Outlaw w/496 mags
    Thanks

Well specifically I am interested in the 496 Mag (base) motor, but I figured that if a resouce has one they may have more and that would have a broader appeal. Mercury has not been much help, only the published "specs". I can't say I blame them, someone would get their engine dyno'ed and sue because that motor was 2 hp shy of the published curves. I believe what I am looking for will come from an independent source such as a tuner that did some baseline research before modifying the motors or a magazine that does independent tests. While this is common in automobile and motorcycle publications, I have not found much detail in the marine publications. Just hoping someone here had found something I had not been able to.

Dan
    Call Raylar. They have done more R&D on the 496 than anyone. May even find the info on there site. Also may want to look at the different exhaust makers. I know that they have done a lot of research. Also read this. I read it a long time ago and thought it was interesting
    http://www.fullthrottlemarine.com/49...%20Article.htm
    Last edited by INDY; 07-19-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Boat

1999 HUSTLER 388 SLINGSHOT
    Thanks

Nice article Indy...thanks for sharing. I remember seeing it a long while back... Good to read again.
    DAVE -N- KELI
    "NAUTI ONE"
    SPRING, TX.

"Keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart"...

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by INDY View Post
    Also may want to look at the different exhaust makers. I know that they have done a lot of research. Also read this. I read it a long time ago and thought it was interesting
    http://www.fullthrottlemarine.com/49...%20Article.htm
    I was looking for that article. Tells alot of good info regarding myths about exhaust.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2004 Nordic Rage
    Thanks

Dan
    Here are some prop shaft dyno numbers from a 496 Mag I recently tested. Having just registered I can't post attachments so I just have to post some numbers.

Peak tq. 466 @ 3600, peak hp 373 @ 4800. 3000 rpm=451 tq & 258 hp, 3500 rpm=465 tq & 310 hp, 4000 rpm=456 tq & 347 hp, 4500 rpm=420 tq & 360 hp.

Hope this helps,

Bob Lloyd
    Full Throttle Marine