Share/Bookmark
    Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Boat Winterizing Tips and How To's

My process is pretty simple...

1) I have a pump to pull the oil out through dipstick so after running it on the hose to get the oil warm. I pump the oil out, change the filters, pull off the old fuel/water seperators pour out the gas and I have a mixture of 2 cycle oil,Mercury fuel system cleaner and stabil along with gas pour that into the filters at this time I guess how much gas is still in the tank and add appropriate amount of Stabil. Usually I try to add it on my last trip out to make sure its gotten through the entire system, but sometimes impossible to know its your last trip out reason for adding it to my mixture. I then hook up my little tank system filled with RV antifreeze and start the boat running it til all I see is pink antifreeze coming out the exhaust or whatever color your antifreeze is. I then shut the boat off spin off the old fuel/water seperator and spin on a new one with fresh gas and stabil mix.
    2) Next step is pulling the drives. I drain the old oil if you have a bravo this drain is behind the prop. After doing that I pull the drive off(pain if you have twins with tiebar and hydraulic steering ) I then inspect the boots and gimbal bearing and check the alignment(alignment bar required) grease the splines on the shaft with spline grease and grease the ujoints with marine grease. Install necessary seals and reinstall drive. Fill through the drain port til oil comes out the vent on topside of drive. Afterwards I fill the resevoir bottle on the engine if low. Make sure in the spring after doing this you carry a bottle with you as I always find the bottle goes down first trip out due to air pockets.
    3) I then take off all lifevest or any towels etc that got left on during the summer, make sure I've emptied any freshwater out of the system and pour RV antifreeze in and run pump to make sure system doesn't have any water in it. Also make sure you've drained out your portapottie as well so that it doesn't freeze. I then put 3 Damprid containers(you can get these pretty much anywhere I get mine at Home Depot) one in the cuddy, one in the cockpit, and one in the engine compartment.
    4)I then put the boat in storage lower the drives, take out drain plug, turn off the batteries(you can unhook then if you feel the need too and take them in so you can charge during winter) I have a onboard charger so I leave mine hooked up and plug charger in. Remove any electronic equipment if you feel the need. And put the full cover on and she's ready for winter.

Feel free to add to this if you got ideas or other ways to do it.

2 additions I've since learned since typing this out is I pump the drive lube til I see it come into the monitor bottle this avoids any air pockets.

Also with the ethanol fuels now the old myth was store the boat full of gas. I now get it as low as I can almost empty ethanol attracts moisture(last thing you want in your fuel)
    Last edited by IrishTornado; 07-20-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Re: Boat Winterizing Tips and How To's

I hope its too early to worry about this. The way my summer is going it might be time.
    Because without beer things just dont seem to go as well

Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    I hope its too early to worry about this. The way my summer is going it might be time.
    I concur! I got 1 more trip for sure other than that it's possible.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2009 Baja 26 Outlaw
    Thanks

A Bravo will "Superfill" itself. The vent hole and resevoir plug are both 2 inches from the top and 4 inches from the top of the driveshaft housing and in the middle of where the cone clutche sits, so no matter how you fill it, you will never get fluid up to the top cap until you run it some. There is no way of getting around a bravo eating about 4-12oz of oil after a change so always carry and extra bottle in the boat.

Boat

Thanks

Interesting video I'm guessing just because it turned to slush doesn't mean that it froze and expanded which would in essence not damage anything.

Charter Member #40
    Boat

1998 Baja Boss 272 HP 500 EFI
    Thanks

i heard that the pink would freeze if it got cold enough not sure about the blue though

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EbayEd View Post
    i heard that the pink would freeze if it got cold enough not sure about the blue though
    pink will freeze but will not expand until like -50 degrees.

Boat

Thanks

That was my thought Will nobody really knows it slushes because they aren't looking at they're boat in the winter when it's that cold. I know I never have.

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

it has to get real cold for it to freeze so unless your at one of the poles you should be OK.

Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JaredA View Post
    A Bravo will "Superfill" itself. The vent hole and resevoir plug are both 2 inches from the top and 4 inches from the top of the driveshaft housing and in the middle of where the cone clutche sits, so no matter how you fill it, you will never get fluid up to the top cap until you run it some. There is no way of getting around a bravo eating about 4-12oz of oil after a change so always carry and extra bottle in the boat.
    I honestly have never experienced this issue when doing mine. I always pump til I see it coming through into the bottle then slowly pump it with cap off until it reaches the full line and have never had to add fluid to it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but this has been my experience.