Thread: Baja 272 gear damage

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1997 Baja 272 Performance
    Thanks

Baja 272 gear damage

Two questions:

I have a 1997 Baja 272 performance (502 cu. inch, Bravo one). Recently a friend was driving, he thought he hit something and went to pull back on the throttle but pulled back on the gear shifter instead (Kiekhaefer controls). It didnt come right out of gear and into neutral, but it may have come out enough to chip a tooth on the gear. There is now a slight vibration when the outdrive is all the way down, but basically not noticeable when the drive is trimmed up a bit. Any ideas as to what it might be. If it's a gear set, does anyone know where I could find a used one?

Second question. I don't have an owners manual for the boat. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks for your help!

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 855 Posts

Re: Baja 272 gear damage

He might've bent the shift fork in the drive depending on how hard he pulled back or he could've just stretched a cable and it's just out of adjustment and the vibration your feeling is the clutchcone trying to disengage the drive...You might want to get this checked before further damage is caused. Is there any dings or marks in the props that would lead you to believe he hit something? What RPM where you running when he pulled back on the shifter?

As far as a used gearset you'd be better off to buy new than to take a chance of buying a used gearset...Or buy a used upper if you feel that it's damaged and then keep yours for a spare. I know someone that has a spare upper forsale if your interested.

There was no owners manuals on Baja boats prior to 2005. Your best bet is to get on Ebay and purchase a Mercury Shop Manual for a 8.2L 502 Mercruiser and a Mercury Shop Manual for a Bravo Drive these come in handy when you need to trouble shoot or work on them if your mechanically inclined and have the tools.

Any questions feel free to ask I owned a 1995 272 with a 502 Mag as well..
    Last edited by IrishTornado; 07-23-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

is it possible that he did hit something and your prop has a blade out of balance? It is pretty hard to pull the drive out of gear when at higher RPM's. Have you checked you drive lube for metal fragments? if you have chunks in your drive you dont want to be running it so you dont hurt something else. Are you trying to find a manuel for the boat or just the motor?
    Because without beer things just dont seem to go as well

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

Thanks

I havent taken it out of the water yet to check the plug... Im probably going to do that tomorrow (the trailer is about 20 miles away and in storage so I have to go get that first). He definitely did NOT hit anything, he just trimmed the drive up a bit too high and I think it may have cavitated a bit. Prop, skeg, etc all fine (we were in about 30 feet of water at the time... he's just not used to this type of boat). If I find any chunks obviously it was a gear tooth or something... Im just hoping to hell it isnt that (priced it at around 1500+labor to change upper gear unit). Only reason I think it may be something else is that the vibration is very minimal and there is no clunking noises and it's worse when the drive is trimmed all the way down. If it were the gears, would it not be the same no matter the trim?

It didnt come out of gear, but he pulled back on it pretty hard. We werent going too fast (maybe 2500 rpm).

I was looking for the manuals for the boat itself, I actually have a Mercruiser manual for the 502 I managed to find online.

The manuals are the least of my concern right now... I just hope it's not going to be a $2000 mistake with the gears haha

Boat

Thanks

You are correct if it was a tooth or gear it would be all the time. If your trim limit switches are working properly you shouldn't be able to over trim without pushing the trailer button. When was the last time you had alignment checked and greased your coupler?

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

Thanks

Honestly, I dont know. I just bought the boat about a month ago (only used it about 16 hours or so now). The vibration is so minimal Im hoping it might even be just a gimbal bearing or something like that. But, I know very little about this outdrive/boat... previous boat was a 1986 Galaxy 226 Sport Express, so quite a big step up. I think what happened was the trim tabs were all the way down to keep the nose down (we were following a friend with a sloooow older sea ray) and for some reason he must have hit the trim up switch for the drive so it just kinda hesitated a bit. Im just going to have to bring it in to the mercruiser people and have them take a look. One thing I do know though, it was PERFECT before this happened. It didnt have even the slightest bit of vibration or anything before this... boat/outdrive only has 216 hours on it now...

Boat

Thanks

I would service the drive(drive lube,check alignment,grease splines, coupler,ujoints,gimble bearing) a out of balance prop like Anchor said will cause vibration. I highly doubt you pulled it out of gear at 2500rpms. If you didn't start with fresh service record now is a good time too...It could be as simple as adjusting the shift cable.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

Thanks

Irish, thanks for the replies. Ill be taking it out either tomorrow or Monday. We'll see what the problem is then I guess haha

Boat

Thanks

Keep us updated. Alot of us on here have spare parts, so always ask before buying new.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2004 Nordic Rage
    Thanks

It is quite common to get some vibration when the drive is trimmed all the way in, especailly with a 3 blade prop. Is it possible that the vibration has always been there, but you just became more aware since you are looking for a problem? It's doubtful he did any damage that would cause a vibration. At the most he would have damaged the shift cable. It's possible that the U joints are worn and overtrimming aggravated the problem, same with the gimbal bearing. I agree with the others , time for a complete service.

Bob Lloyd
    Full Throttle Marine
    Last edited by ftmbob; 07-27-2010 at 11:35 AM.