Eagle

Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Will stock springs work?????

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Charter Member #45
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CINCINNATI, OHIO
    Boat

    1987 BAJA FORCE 320
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 112 Times in 82 Posts

    Will stock springs work?????

    I bought 2 502ho 450hp roller crate motors from jags a year ago, I'm installing the crane 731 cams in them. My guy is telling me the stock springs will not work!! Is this true or is he just BSing me to get more money for new springs!! Shooter i thought I read a post somewhere else where you stated that the stock springs are fine for the 731, can u verify this for me or tell me part #s for springs that I should buy for these cams????

  2. #2
    Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fenton/Lake St Clair, Michigan
    Boat

    1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,561
    Thanks
    1,476
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

    Re: Will stock springs work?????

    I'd really be gun shy about using stock GM springs on a motor your putting a aftermarket cam in....

  3. #3
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    olathe, ks
    Boat

    1999 baja 38 special
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 60 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Will stock springs work?????

    I also believe that I read that $hooter has used the stock springs with no proplems. Also, when installing my 731, my engine builder said that the stock lifters would have worked, and not pushed them out of the hole. ..... That being said, if you are going "by the book" .... the stock springs are rated up to .550 lift,... and the stock lifters up to around .575. ......... I went the safe route and upgraded both, the retrofit tie bar lifters with the comp springs.

  4. #4
    Charter Member #45
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CINCINNATI, OHIO
    Boat

    1987 BAJA FORCE 320
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 112 Times in 82 Posts

    Re: Will stock springs work?????

    Quote Originally Posted by DonD. View Post
    I also believe that I read that $hooter has used the stock springs with no proplems. Also, when installing my 731, my engine builder said that the stock lifters would have worked, and not pushed them out of the hole. ..... That being said, if you are going "by the book" .... the stock springs are rated up to .550 lift,... and the stock lifters up to around .575. ......... I went the safe route and upgraded both, the retrofit tie bar lifters with the comp springs.
    Don what motor did you do the upgrade in with the 731? Did you do anything else besides the cam? what kind of #s after you did the upgrades?

  5. #5
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee'ish, WI
    Boat

    2010 Nordic 22 Evolution
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Will stock springs work?????

    How much extra are the springs? If not that much it seems like cheap insurance to me, why put old, possibly worn springs back in there
    I guess you are doing it x2, right?

  6. #6
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    olathe, ks
    Boat

    1999 baja 38 special
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 60 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Will stock springs work?????

    Jeff, I have 454 mags mpi. I also put on Revolution marine exhaust and had the computer re-flashed by Tyler Crockett. I chose the revolution exhaust because they have a built in water dam to help against reversion. ..... Although I don't think that cam has caused reversion problems for many others. The re-flash has the boat running a little too rich.
    My boat is a big pig so it didn't help that much. It sound better, and feels like it is stronger in the middle. My old top speed was over 61. Now it gets around 64. If I spin the props in I will get over 65. One day I took the flame arresters off just to experiment and got to 67 (props spinning in). So there is certainly a restriction there.
    Those numbers are with less that a 1/4 tank of gas and only me in the boat,
    Also I think my fuel economy is worse,.... but that may be more due to the computer.
    Last edited by DonD.; 08-07-2010 at 08:50 AM.

  7. #7
    Charter Member #45
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CINCINNATI, OHIO
    Boat

    1987 BAJA FORCE 320
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 112 Times in 82 Posts

    Re: Will stock springs work?????

    Quote Originally Posted by DonD. View Post
    Jeff, I have 454 mags mpi. I also put on Revolution marine exhaust and had the computer re-flashed by Tyler Crockett. I chose the revolution exhaust because they have a built in water dam to help against reversion. ..... Although I don't think that cam has caused reversion problems for many others. The re-flash has the boat running a little too rich.
    My boat is a big pig so it didn't help that much. It sound better, and feels like it is stronger in the middle. My old top speed was over 61. Now it gets around 64. If I spin the props in I will get over 65. One day I took the flame arresters off just to experiment and got to 67 (props spinning in). So there is certainly a restriction there.
    Those numbers are with less that a 1/4 tank of gas and only me in the boat,
    Also I think my fuel economy is worse,.... but that may be more due to the computer.
    Well Don it sounds like you definitely had spme improvement!!! I'm gonna go with the comp 928 springs for the heads! I have edelbrock 750's now which I'm sure will have to be rejetted I'm gonna go with the gm intake this year and more than likely change that to a Victor Jr. next year.. My exhaust is the aluminum Stainless Marine Hi-Torque dry all the way to the transom so I'm not worried about reversion!! Just in the stock form with the 502's I ran 70 and had way to much prop.. So I'm hoping with the new cam my Hp will be very comparible to the HP 500's with my X at 4.25 and my extension boxes already in place I can run somewhere around 80 give or take. I do know that before I bought the boat the previous owner had carbed hp 500's in it at one time and it ran 83 gps so well see!!! I'm just excited to hopefully run the boat just once this year!!!!

  8. #8
    Baja Boat Owner
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Boat

    1993 Baja 290
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Will stock springs work?????

    Quote Originally Posted by FLEG1 View Post
    I bought 2 502ho 450hp roller crate motors from jags a year ago, I'm installing the crane 731 cams in them. My guy is telling me the stock springs will not work!! Is this true or is he just BSing me to get more money for new springs!! Shooter i thought I read a post somewhere else where you stated that the stock springs are fine for the 731, can u verify this for me or tell me part #s for springs that I should buy for these cams????
    The springs will work with the 731 cam if the motor is a roller motor to start with, but I would not even consider using the stock lifters and pushrods. I have seen a couple of broke motors from trying to use the stock lifters with a 731 cam and it is an expensive screw up.

Similar Threads

  1. I like this will it work in my boat?
    By mseuro in forum Lighting/Electrical/Systems and More
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM
  2. Anyone been to Hot Springs, Ar; Lake Hamilton??
    By Nailit in forum SouthCentral USA
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2016, 10:26 PM
  3. does it work?
    By Scarab3dmc in forum Members Rides
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2015, 01:39 PM
  4. Trailer springs
    By seanj in forum Rigs,Rides and How You Tow Them
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM
  5. Work and LAB 26's...or 28's?
    By MRBAJA in forum Prop Talk
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •