Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Almost Sank....

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2003 Baja Boss 275
    Thanks

Almost Sank....

Well just got back from my trip to Dale Hollow..first let me say it was a great week of vacationing and boating. Having a houseboat with the Baja this time was awesome...albeit for one scary night. On Tuesday we decided to head out into the main lake...gorgeous weather, the water was glass and the temps were nearing 100. We found a cove on Goat Island that is always taken, but this time it was open...so in we zoomed and tied off the houseboat. We loved it so much, we decided to stay Wednesday night as well. About 9:30 PM on Wednesday...I heard the wind pick up which is quite odd and I could feel the houseboat bounce a bit as well...very odd!!! I look out the window and there is lightening everywhere!!! I look at the Baja and she's flying up in the air because the wind hit over 60 mph and was making surfing type waves. I put on a vest and jumped on board to get more lines and more fenders...after about 30 minutes of fighting...the additional lines and bumpers were secured, but the waves were rushing over the aft end of the boat and I was taking on water. The bilge pump kicked in...very first time that ever happened...and was running steady. I jumped back on the houseboat and did my best to try and control the Baja's bouncing. I figured if she started going down, I'd have to cut her loose as I didn't need it to cause the houseboat to list. It was nonstop wrestling for about 45 minutes before the winds calmed a bit and the rain began..torrential rain! That lasted another hour and then things started to slowly calm down. It was dark, I was wet and exhausted and really had no idea if I had taken any damage. In the morning, I went out and again the water was like glass, a beautiful sun was rising and the Baja was still afloat. I opened the engine hatch and all was dry. One turn of the key and she fired right up. Six lines & six bumpers protected her from crashing into the houseboat or ripping away...those cleats can take a lot of strain!!! Everyone was a little fried from the night before, but we continued on our vacation without incident and enjoyed a fantastic week on the lake. Charged batteries, the right equipment, knowing what to do and staying calm will probably get you through most things...this time it did and I now know with more confidence what our boats are capable of handling. Just a little more gray up top...but I still have my boat!

Boat

1999 HUSTLER 388 SLINGSHOT
    Thanks

Re: Almost Sank....

Man, sounds like y'all had a hell-of-a night for sure! It is amazing how storms can kick up and cause so much havoc. Here in TX when the storms kick up on the lakes you better run and hide or you will either be swampped or tossed around like a popping cork.

Glad everything turned out smooth in the end and all was good! Thanks for sharing!
    DAVE -N- KELI
    "NAUTI ONE"
    SPRING, TX.

"Keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart"...

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Re: Almost Sank....

I have been through several of those when I lived down in florida. out in the middle of the lake with no where to get out of the weather it sucks. Glad to hear you made it through with nothing happening. I am always amazed of what what happens when water and wind mix. Then throw in the rain.
    Because without beer things just dont seem to go as well