Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: Sun Pad Hinge

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2003 Baja Boss 275
    Thanks

Sun Pad Hinge

Was running pretty good on Lake Michigan this weekend...got a few good bounces in as well....was shutting down for the night and went to raise the hatch to plug in the battery charger, but the hatch sounded like it was struggling. So I took it slow and noticed the rear of the hatch on the right side was lifting as well. So I supported the hatch and raised it slow....turns out the hinge that holds it to the rear of the boat came off the bottom of the pad. Couldn't do much with it then, but I'll be looking into this week...that friggin' hatch is heavy too...sure hope the holes aren't stripped or the wood got soft. I think I'm going to need a 6 - 7 ft 2 X 4 to support keeping the hatch up to get a good look at the hinge. Anyone have to do this on their boat? One other thing...do the screws go through fiberglass then into wood....I'm not sure what the sun pads construction is, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible when I lift that thing and inspect the holes.

Boat

1997 502 Baja Boss 272
    Thanks

Re: Sun Pad Hinge

I don't know the difference in yours and mine (272), but when i took it loose 5-6 years ago it was rotten. The lid has strips of wood around it that aren't sealed that the hinge bolts go thru, and that's where the "slop" was. It's bigger and heaver than you realize when you get it loose
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2003 Baja Boss 275
    Thanks

Well I plan to try and give it a good look today. My son is visiting and we'll both get the pad lifted and supported. My biggest fear is having the other hinge come loose while raising the hatch...it sort of wants to tweak itself when coming up...but we'll be careful. Sure hope that wood ain't rotten....

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Take it right off the boat...they are just wood screws and most likely are stripped or you've got rotten wood in your sunpad.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

2003 Baja Boss 275
    Thanks

Well here's what I found...There's a plate under the hinge..might be plastic or fiberglass...glad it's there cuz it protects the wood pretty good...which happened to be in decent shape. The screws had to have gradually worked them selves out because 3 of the 4 went right back in with a good bite and nice and tight. Be that as it may, I'm going up in diameter on all "pad" screws on both hinges, and coating them with some serious sticky stuff before installing them. My son was a huge help as he had the umph to hold the pad down and in place when I was raising it and working on the screws. I checked both sides since I had the ladder up and the opposite side was loose, but again, three of the four screws grabbed tight with no issues. So like I said, I'll replace all with one size up in diameter with some serious marine screw sticky stuff. The opposite screws that go into the boat were all fine. After everything was tight, I ran that pad up and down a few times and everything stayed tight and in place...thanks for info fella's.