Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cruisers Yachts early 2000s

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Cruisers Yachts early 2000s

Curious if anyone has any experience with Cruisers and/or Searays. I'm thinking of going the cruiser route, the prices are pretty low on them compared to go-fasts, so I'm contemplating it.

-mike

Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

Re: Cruisers Yachts early 2000s

Both are pretty good boats from what I have seen of them. Previous boss has a Cruisers and seems to like it.
    There are good ships, there are wood ships, there are ships that sailed the seas. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be!

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force

Charter Member #30
    Boat

2004 Baja 250 sportfish SOLD :(
    Thanks

My father has a cobalt day cruiser and I have to say I love it. It is like a house out there. Great for family and friends just to hang out and for a nice ocean cruise.
    http://www.cobaltboats.com/v11/our_boats/303/index.php
    Last edited by JFMSportfish250; 09-09-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Boat

Boatless For Now .
    Thanks

When my family purchased our cruiser back in the 90's you got a lot more boat in a Sea Ray than you did with a Cruisers or even Formula at that time. The Sea Ray was less expensive with more options, had more beam and was just an overall better buy.

I think by the 2000's the Cruiser has become the better buy. I have been on a lot of Sea Ray cruisers being in Knoxville in the middle of Sea Ray country. I have not been as impressed by their build quality as of late. They don't seem to age well. More and more Cruiser brand boats have popped up around here and they seem to hold up very well and seem to offer some better options and layouts than the Sea Ray. They also feel bigger in comparative sizes. As with anything, I would just look at several brands and sizes and see what you like the best.

I would also consider Formula, Regal as well as Cobalt. Four Winns has also built some nice boats in the last few years.

Charter Member #30
    Boat

2004 Baja 250 sportfish SOLD :(
    Thanks

Are you going to the on the water boat show in AC this weekend? Nice way to see some cruisers and see how they handle plus some good deals now.

Baja Supporter
    Boat

2000 baja performance 272
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haulinvols View Post
    When my family purchased our cruiser back in the 90's you got a lot more boat in a Sea Ray than you did with a Cruisers or even Formula at that time. The Sea Ray was less expensive with more options, had more beam and was just an overall better buy.

I think by the 2000's the Cruiser has become the better buy. I have been on a lot of Sea Ray cruisers being in Knoxville in the middle of Sea Ray country. I have not been as impressed by their build quality as of late. They don't seem to age well. More and more Cruiser brand boats have popped up around here and they seem to hold up very well and seem to offer some better options and layouts than the Sea Ray. They also feel bigger in comparative sizes. As with anything, I would just look at several brands and sizes and see what you like the best.

I would also consider Formula, Regal as well as Cobalt. Four Winns has also built some nice boats in the last few years.

I'm in the Knoxville area weekly. I deliver hardwood trim packages to new homes and drive a big box truck. I go to the Jefferson Park and Jackson Bend communities alot so I pass by Concord Marina quite a lot,I remembered you talking about docking your Sunsation there while you worked on that trailer project so anyhow I stopped at Concord Marina just went thru parking lot and noticed there was several cruisers in the slips also noticed a 442 baja and maybe some other bajas while I was there, looked like a super nice marina.I also go to Norris lake to the pennensula and plan on coming down there boating some weekend, beautiful lake.

Charter Member #34
    Boat

2006 Baja 405
    Thanks

I have a lot of experience with Cruiser, and express Cruiser style boats. Searays in my opinion are very nice, but you pay more for what you get. Another brand to check out is Chaparral. You get a nicer layout for the dollar and a 28 Chaparral has about as much space as the 32 Dancer. Let me know if you have any questions, I have been on a lot of different expresses, and Bridge boats.
    Last edited by bmtbandit; 09-10-2010 at 06:39 AM.

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 866 Posts

Definately agree with a Chapparell GettinKnotty has one believe it's a 280 and has LOTS of room all the creature comforts and runs about 50 with a 496HO

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1998 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Thanks my baja brothers!

I'm seeing a bunch popping up in my price range that I like the layout of.

Searay 330
    Maxum 330scr
    Cruisers 3275

Most have either 7.4 or 5.7L engines. Any thoughts on I/O v. I/B?

-mike

Boat

Boatless For Now .
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paisan View Post
    Thanks my baja brothers!

I'm seeing a bunch popping up in my price range that I like the layout of.

Searay 330
    Maxum 330scr
    Cruisers 3275

Most have either 7.4 or 5.7L engines. Any thoughts on I/O v. I/B?

-mike
    Personally, I like V-drives for a larger cruiser vs having stern drives. I have had both in the past in the 30 foot plus range and I would never go back to stern drives. Granted, the stern drive will be faster and get slightly better fuel economy but I just like the handling advantages of a V-drive and the fact they have less draft, have less in the water to corrode, and if you hit something, you typically will have more damage with a stern drive. They each have their positives and negatives, you just have to drive them and see which one is right for you.