Bblades

Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: How to clean cockpit cover.......

Share/Bookmark
    Boat

1997 502 Baja Boss 272
    Thanks

How to clean cockpit cover.......

What's worked for y'all?
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Re: How to clean cockpit cover.......

Sunbrella®: Used for Baja® cockpit covers, and Islander series bow tonneau covers. For stubborn stains, soak the fabric for approximately 20 minutes in a solution of Yacht Brite Moldways® (use as directed - one scoop of Moldway powder per one quart of lukewarm water, no more than 100 degrees F). Rinse the fabric thoroughly in cold water to remove all the soap. This may require rinsing several times. Incomplete rinsing can cause deterioration of sewing threads and prohibit the fabric from being properly re-treated. Allow the fabric to air dry completely. This method of cleaning may remove part of the water and stain repellency and the fabric should receive an application of an air curing re-treatment, such as 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ (available at www.boatingstore.com) Sunbrella® may be dry cleaned but 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ must be applied to the fabric after dry cleaning. Sunbrella® is made from 100% acrylic fiber and is thermoplastic or heat sensitive. When washing and cleaning, DO NOT SUBJECT TO EXCESSIVE HEAT as the fabric will shrink. DO NOT STEAM PRESS OR DRY IN ELECTRIC OR GAS DRYERS, but allow to air dry.
    Characteristics
    Sunbrella®
    Sunbrella® is a woven fabric. Even though it is treated with water repellency, some "misting" through the fabric is typical. With new canvas, the greatest potential for leakage is through the sewn seams. Because Sunbrella® and the long-term thread are synthetic, the holes created by sewing will not swell up and seal when exposed to water as cotton does. Usually the movement of the fabric in use will move the fibers enough to seal the holes. You may apply a couple of light coats of 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ to the seams to speed up this process. When the canvas is new, the fit will normally be tight. It is designed this way because Sunbrella® stretches as it ages. The initial tight fit allows for a suitable fit for the life of the canvas. The fit with Sunbrella® will vary in the heat, cold and rain.
    Care and Storage Tips
    • NEVER store canvas wet or in an unventilated, moist area.
    • Always roll the canvas instead of folding. This is of particular importance on any part with the clear vinyl "glass" or the snapless vinyl extrusion strip.
    • Handle the clear vinyl carefully. It is soft and very prone to scratching.
    • To keep the vinyl soft and flexible, regularly apply a UV screening agent such as Yacht Brite Serious Shine® (use as directed) with a Yacht Brite Microfiber Towel®.
    • Your top, side curtains, aft curtain and camper sets are designed and intended for short-term use only; DO NOT USE FOR STORAGE.
    • Under no circumstances should the boat be towed with the boat top in the upright position.
    • When zippers are new they can be a little difficult to zip. Zip carefully without forcing - they will loosen with use.
    • A zipper lubricant such as Zip Tech™ or Max Wax™ may be used to help new zippers as well as for maintaining long, trouble-free service.
    • The most vulnerable part of the zipper is the start. Use care when starting zippers.
    • To prevent damage to the fabric, fasteners should be unsnapped as close to the button as possible.
    • Never remove canvas by pulling roughly on one edge of the material.
    • If the snaps become difficult to unsnap, the action can be lowered by many lubricants, such as oil, petroleum jelly, wax-based lip balm, silicone sprays. The most common recommendation is to rub candle wax or paraffin around the stud or inside the socket. Whichever method is used, care must be taken that the lubricant does not stain the canvas or other surfaces it may contact.
    Trailering with Canvas
    The cockpit cover and tonneau cover must be removed when trailering. Bimini tops should be laid flat. Damage will occur to canvas and boat if attached to boat while trailering.

Boat

1997 502 Baja Boss 272
    Thanks

I guess that about covers it (no pun intended).

Thanks Irish
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

That's from a Baja manual....

I use this on mine then treat it with the protectant

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...yl-cleaner.cfm

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...bric-guard.cfm

Water beads up on mine when it gets wet never leaks...I put it in a pump sprayer and apply light even coat...