Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: What is Labbing

Share/Bookmark
    Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1999 Baja Outlaw 25
    Thanks

What is Labbing

I know the result is to be able to run a higher pitch and maintain desired RPM. But what is the process and what gets changed on the prop?

Charter Member #27
    Boat

1994 Baja 272 w/ HP500
    Thanks

Re: What is Labbing

There is technically no such things as "labbing" its not one process, it can be, or be a combo of many. Thinning blades, re-pitching, adding or removing cup etc...

Blueprinting a prop, would be this same process, but done much better... and a little differently..

If you worked with a propeller company such as BBLades for example, you would start with a stock prop, give them information about how it performs, send them the prop back and they would modify it accordingly, that is labbing the prop, once the prop is completely done and you have achieved your best all around results, you now have a Lab Finished prop for your boat. It may work on another, it may not, but it is designed and modified to be specific for your boat.

Here is a quote from Throttle Up Propellers a while back on a different forum:

We offer Blueprinted Propellers which means that we get as much information from you about your boat, motor, drive and hull and then ask you what your goal is and customize a propeller for those specifications. Lab Finishing is the process of pitching the prop, thinning the blades, sharpening the leading edges, cleaning up the trailing edge, balancing and polishing. This is the general service for Lab Finishing again this is in GENERAL!

Blueprinting the prop takes this a bit further....WE..Utilize the MRI which is a computer that gives me a 3D electronic image of your prop. It is capable of recording or measuring the pitch of the prop to greater than .001 of and inch! This means that your propeller pitch is of an extremely high tolerance. Much greater than that of using pitch blocks and a pitchometer! It gives measurements of Rake and Tracking of the blades as well allowing the appropriate adjustments be made to make your prop pitch, rake and tracking are DEAD ON! It has taken out the "eyeballing" Method. We then will pattern the blades so that each blade is identical to the others. Followed by Cupping adjustments, to improve mid cruise grip or bite while being sensitive to its affects on RPM and MPH. Then the thinning of the blades, balance, leading and trailing edges and finishing. The end result is a Propeller that is fished to a very high tolerance which leads to improved performance!
    Last edited by SmurfOnABaja; 10-27-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1999 Baja Outlaw 25
    Thanks

Excellent! Thank you

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Give Bblades a call they are VERY informative regarding the proper setup for your boating applications. It might take a couple times to setup exactly correctly but eventually they will get it as close to perfect as they can.

Most props aren't even close to balanced when they come out of the box which is why they call it blueprinting...

Here's a little thread if you haven't had the opportunity to read it..

http://bajaboatowners.com/threads/62-Props-101

Boat

1997 502 Baja Boss 272
    Thanks

Great post Smurf. Sum's it all up perfectly.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

A side note last I knew Throttle Up only did CNC propellers and mainly worked with the race teams now....I'm not 100% sure on this so don't quote me as saying so...I've always dealt with Bblades in any prop work I've had done as they where trained by the best at Mercury Racing and have taken that and improved on it...Some of the fastest Baja's have Bblades propellers on them..

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1997 Baja 272 Boss w/502Mag
    Thanks

I know this thread has been dead for a few months

But i was wondering if you had a ruff idea of the cost in doing this?

Boat

2002 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TlRacer View Post
    I know this thread has been dead for a few months

But i was wondering if you had a ruff idea of the cost in doing this?
    A four blade prop will run about $375.00+- to lab. Before you do this process figure out what you want the boat to do and what you want to change. Speed, better hole shot, better cruise efficiency, get more lift on the boat... Then talk with BBlades and ask them for what information they would like to have so they can better adjust the prop in the shop for you. Make sure all information is as accurate as possible and You should use a GPS so your speed is accurate as well. Typically you will be looking for speed at a certain RPM so accurate information is very important.
    Because without beer things just dont seem to go as well

Boat

Thanks

Smile Re: What is Labbing

Sorry for being absent from this forum for so long. I want to get back to the responses as the season wears down.

After reading this thread my pet peeve has re emerged.

No offense to Julie and the long de funked TU crew but they didn't know what Lab Finishing was when it was invented by my boss many years ago. They never really got it. Smurf offers one of the statements that TU wrote that still makes me chuckle to this day.

Here is the real deal. TU has it completely opposite and so do many others. Blueprinting is matching everything..............pitch, diameter, cups, thicknesses (although most don't understand that either). Just like blueprinting a crankshaft or anything else.

Labbing is blueprinting on steroids! Your are doing all the other stuff but also doing specific to the boat the props are going on! It is blueprinted to your needs.

Sorry for the rant after being absent but that one has always bothered me
    Brett A Anderson
    Office 920-295-4435
    FAX 920-295-4436