1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Oil Filters #'s and what they fit

Amsoil EAO (1qt)24,(1/2qt)25- BBC 502/454

Boat

1999 Advantage 250 Citation
    Thanks
    Hey Dave that's a great filter . In fact it filters to less than 10 microns. It's so tight it'll filter out any pigment that might be in the oil. I have been a long time of the WIX products. My favorite for big HP applications and volume is the 51060R.:cool:

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

Thanks
    I personally swear by them and all Amsoil products. I run the 15w40 in my diesel truck, tractor and boat.

Boat

1999 HUSTLER 388 SLINGSHOT
    Thanks
    I need to order oil for my drives and motors from ya Dave....along with a pair of filters. Hit me up and let me know the cost....

Thanks,
    HOSS

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

Thanks

Re: Oil Filters #'s and what they fit

Please feel free to add other filters to this thread. It's a helpful reference for the DIY guys.

Boat

2005 Baja 25 Outlaw, 525sc, Imco x box, 280 Planes, Full Hyd.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 901 Posts

K&N HP3002 fits the Merc 496, it's the best filter I've used yet. The worst filter I've had was Fram.

Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyOutlaw View Post
    The worst filter I've had was Fram.
    Here's how I found out, I bought 2 Fram BBC filters, put one on the fresh 406CI big block I just built, and one on the boat. I put the filter on the boat at the beginning of the season and slowly the oil pressure started declining and the harder I ran the boat the worse it would get. It was running around 30 at WOT down from the normal 50psi. It wasn't enough to panic but I started scatching my head wondering why. At the same time, I just built a 406BBC for my Z, brand new forged rotating assembly, oil pump with a hardened shaft, 8Qt. pan with a baffle, the pick up was 3/8ths of and inch off the bottom of the pan, solid lifter Comp. rollers, it was sweet, and oil pressure was good. Until, WOT, and it dropped big time, it would go from 60 to 10psi. I drained the oil, looked in the inside the pan, the pickup was clear of debris, and off of the pan. pulling my hair out, spoke to the machine shop about any oil plugs or blockages there could be trouble with came up with nothing. So I didnt want to do any damage to the motor by more road testing, I said F-it, pulled the motor and tore it down, still not knowing it was the filter. The enigine is from a 66' SS396 Chevelle, the 66' 396's originally had a canister type oil filter and it was the last year of the canister. I had a spin-on oil fliter adapter on the block which didn't have the oil bypass valve that are on BBC's 67' and later. I went over every part of that motor built it again, added new oil, left the same filter on. Went down the block made a right, nailed it and the oil pressure dropped, I was pissed. Just for the hell of it, I ran down to the parts store and asked for the best most expensive filter for a Big chevy, picked up the K&N HP3002 spun it on and it solved it all. I was M F-in that filter. You may not notice real issues with the Fram because of the bypass valves in the engines, when the demand exceeds the flow, the vavle opens and bypasses the filter, but take that valve away and those filters are garbage.

Then its been K&N's on everything since

Here's when it was done the 1st time.

This is round 2 the following weekend, I had just got it out in this pic, which is no easy task. The big block and the trans was a T56 6 speed would not come out as one. Check out the Fram on the engine. I had just pulled the pan before taredown.
    Last edited by JerseyOutlaw; 01-21-2013 at 01:28 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyOutlaw For This Useful Post:

Just4funII (01-21-2013)

Boat

1991 Baja 270
    Thanks

I had the same issue with Fram on my 408 in my Mustang. Oil pressure would drop after running it hard. I too pulled the motor after a test and tune night at Atlanta Dragway. I was spraying Nitrous that night and thought I spun a bearing. Back at the house that night about midnight, just got the motor on the stand pulled the pan and pulled the main caps and friend of mine saw the lights on stopped in and said, "I bet it's that $h!tty Fram filter". Sure enough it was. Last time I ever used one of them on anything I own.
    Jeff & Beth
    Just 4 Fun II

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just4funII For This Useful Post:

JerseyOutlaw (01-21-2013)

Boat

Thanks

Wow! same f-in thing. cool man, last time for me as well, everything I own gets that filter now.

from time to time looking online at boats for sale, I'll come across some with Fram filters and I cringe

Boat

1991 Baja 270
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyOutlaw View Post
    Wow! same f-in thing. cool man, last time for me as well, everything I own gets that filter now.

from time to time looking online at boats for sale, I'll come across some with Fram filters and I cringe
    Yep, I was pi$$ed! Went through all that and it was just a filter. I have a friend here that owns a Radiator repair shop and he has an employee that owns a Harley. I stopped in one day and saw one on his bike, told him my story and he changed out the filter before I left within the hour. LOL!
    Jeff & Beth
    Just 4 Fun II