Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Thread: 280 gps

Share/Bookmark
    Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

280 gps

1988 stock 454 mags 68.9 GPS.
    There are good ships, there are wood ships, there are ships that sailed the seas. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be!

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1989 Baja 280 sport
    Thanks

Re: 280 gps

Nice Im doing about the same on my sport 280 Ill clock it on gps Sunday if weather allows...
    What are the sea conditions when reaching that speed ? Also what are the rpms at that speed ?
    Last edited by nicknack; 05-30-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicknack View Post
    Nice Im doing about the same on my sport 280 Ill clock it on gps Sunday if weather allows...
    What are the sea conditions when reaching that speed ? Also what are the rpms at that speed ?
    Was 2' to 3' chop that day. 23p 3 blades running about 5000 RPM. 4 people in the boat with about 2/3 tank of fuel.
    There are good ships, there are wood ships, there are ships that sailed the seas. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be!

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1989 Baja 280 sport
    Thanks

I took her up to 4000 rpm in a 2 ft chop going against the wind and waves .I had about half tank fuel and 3 people on board.
    The gps said 54.8mph.
    My 280 has 454 mags and 23p 3 blade props
    Im not going to get out this weekend but as soon as I do Ill take it up to 5000 and see what shes got.

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1989 Baja 280 sport
    Thanks

Im doing 70mph @ like 5000 rpms ,clocked on gps....and it looks good while doing it ..

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1989 Baja 280 Sport
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicknack View Post
    Im doing 70mph @ like 5000 rpms ,clocked on gps....and it looks good while doing it ..

70 mph with stock power? I thought with 454 mags these boats were supposed to be 65-66 mph?? And you guys are running speeds like this in 3' water??? I was running 55 mph with full negative trim on the gps in 3' last Saturday @3500 rpm but didn't want anymore than that. It was a rough ride and I think any faster and the boat would have been out of the water more often than in....

Have you run 4 blades? I am running 27p mirages right now. 4 blades slowed me down a ton!! Just wondering if that was the normal response from this hull.

Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baja226sport View Post
    70 mph with stock power? I thought with 454 mags these boats were supposed to be 65-66 mph?? And you guys are running speeds like this in 3' water??? I was running 55 mph with full negative trim on the gps in 3' last Saturday @3500 rpm but didn't want anymore than that. It was a rough ride and I think any faster and the boat would have been out of the water more often than in....

Have you run 4 blades? I am running 27p mirages right now. 4 blades slowed me down a ton!! Just wondering if that was the normal response from this hull.
    Mine are 454 mags 365 hp with a lot of hours on them. I have 4 blade labs that I run 63 WOT consistently. My 23p labed 3 blades get 68+ all the time depending on load.

2' is when the 280 is fast, 3 footers are fun. I was runing my 4 blades sunday in 2+ and she was skipping right along...Yeah I was almost out of gas...You just have to trim it right. Only time I have my drives buried is if it is real rough or when I am taking off. 3' trim her out and let her run. I find if you don't trim it out the boat bow steers bad. Also 3 blades on my boat does not carry the bow very well, that might be why you feel like it will fly on you. You are bouncing in the waves instead of getting on top of them.

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1989 Baja 280 Sport
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightlife View Post
    Mine are 454 mags 365 hp with a lot of hours on them. I have 4 blade labs that I run 63 WOT consistently. My 23p labed 3 blades get 68+ all the time depending on load.

2' is when the 280 is fast, 3 footers are fun. I was runing my 4 blades sunday in 2+ and she was skipping right along...Yeah I was almost out of gas...You just have to trim it right. Only time I have my drives buried is if it is real rough or when I am taking off. 3' trim her out and let her run. I find if you don't trim it out the boat bow steers bad. Also 3 blades on my boat does not carry the bow very well, that might be why you feel like it will fly on you. You are bouncing in the waves instead of getting on top of them.

I guess your right. I always have the wife with me and she gets really nervous when running at speed. I tried to tell her the boat will run out nicer if we go faster and get on top of the waves but she has yet to let me prove it.

My 280 has 509's in the 550+ hp range. I would like to get a good chance to really run it in the right conditions and see how it performs. I am working on a trim pump issue right now. One pump is way faster than the other. I need those at the same speed to really run the boat and trim it properly.

Boat

1988 Baja 280
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baja226sport View Post
    I guess your right. I always have the wife with me and she gets really nervous when running at speed. I tried to tell her the boat will run out nicer if we go faster and get on top of the waves but she has yet to let me prove it.

My 280 has 509's in the 550+ hp range. I would like to get a good chance to really run it in the right conditions and see how it performs. I am working on a trim pump issue right now. One pump is way faster than the other. I need those at the same speed to really run the boat and trim it properly.
    Just give it to her in short bursts, she will get used to it. Mine took a while as well. I still don't hit it real hard if she is in the back seat, but if it is just us and she is in the bolster I am starting to get her to see the light. IDK what speed we were getting this last weekend, but I had it running about as hard as it will go with the four blades on it, and it was 2'+. Was skipping pretty good, and she never said anything to me. So it has only taken 9 years....

Dave & Sheila Nye

Liquid Force

Baja Boat Owner
    Boat

1989 Baja 280 Sport
    Thanks

Yeah, unfortunately it will most likely be next year at this point when I get a chance to really run it again. With weather changing and everything else that starts going on this time of year it gets tough to get out there!!