Upcoming Events for the Next 20 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Only 4500 RPM's....Help

Share/Bookmark
    Boat

1999 HUSTLER 388 SLINGSHOT
    Thanks

Only 4500 RPM's....Help

Hey gang, got a hell of a question/delima/problem....

Ran the boat for the first time yesterday. 29 OL....HO's...stock factory 26's. Boat at WOT full trim max RPM was only 4500 and bout 65 on the wish-o-meter. Something is definately not right. From selling so many 29's back in my day I could run 26's on MAG and HO boats and spin 5000-5100 all day long.

When I bought the boat I had both motors compression tested etc...had the computers checked out. Compression is great (170-180) on all holes....computers checked out with no codes and very little time at WOT. 220 hrs. on the scan of the computers as well.

So what could it be????? Fouled plugs? Bad/old fuel???? The fuel in the boat was full...and it could be from last summer???? Lots of stabilizer in it???? I have no clue. The transom of the boat was also extra black.... My girlfriend getting back on the boat from the water just putting her hands and feet on the platform were completely black.....

Any help or suggestions or??? would be greatly appreciated. This is the first "used" anything I have ever bought and I seem to keep finding things that are making me think I should have maybe not have bought???

Charter Member #11 IrishTornado's Avatar
    Boat

1992 Baja .38 Special Edition
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 851 Posts

Re: Only 4500 RPM's....Help

You've just got a issue somewhere almost sounds like it's in guardian mode, but that would've showed on ECU scan. The bad gas could be a issue with todays Ethanol fuels. The black soot is the nature of the 496 and there is a reflash to take care of that. It also might take care of the RPM issue. Although I don't understand why a 29 with HO's can't spin 28's as my boat with the MAG's could spin labbed 28's all day long at 5000 and run 70mph on GPS. The HO's I could spin 5000 and run 74-76 depending on load.

Boat

Thanks

I agree Irish, I have spun LAB 28's on 29 OL's before as well and had great results. A LAB 28 spins like a 26 with the power of a 28 so to speak in EZ terms.... But stock 26's should run 5K EZ in that boat. Just strange how "both" motors were dead on 4500..... I am going to call "Tim" and see if when he did the compression testing etc if he noticed anything odd????

I really hope this is an easy fix.... I am starting to get a lil depressed/frusturated. I just want to drop it in and "go"....

Boat

Thanks

Hell I was spinning labbed 30's on my HO's....Are you telling me a 302 is a better water boat than a 29OL? I out ran 29's with same power.

Boat

Thanks

LOL....nope! I'm telling you that there is something very fishy with my 29 I just bought.....and it ain't right!

Boat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MRBAJA View Post
    LOL....nope! I'm telling you that there is something very fishy with my 29 I just bought.....and it ain't right!
    It's something simple I'm telling you. If it was major it would've showed up on the compression test.

Boat

Thanks

Guess we'll soon find out.....

Boat

1999 Advantage 250 Citation
    Thanks

It is possible that the tech left the ECU's in service mode..... no timing advance

Quote Originally Posted by MRBAJA View Post
    Hey gang, got a hell of a question/delima/problem....

Ran the boat for the first time yesterday. 29 OL....HO's...stock factory 26's. Boat at WOT full trim max RPM was only 4500 and bout 65 on the wish-o-meter. Something is definately not right. From selling so many 29's back in my day I could run 26's on MAG and HO boats and spin 5000-5100 all day long.

When I bought the boat I had both motors compression tested etc...had the computers checked out. Compression is great (170-180) on all holes....computers checked out with no codes and very little time at WOT. 220 hrs. on the scan of the computers as well.

So what could it be????? Fouled plugs? Bad/old fuel???? The fuel in the boat was full...and it could be from last summer???? Lots of stabilizer in it???? I have no clue. The transom of the boat was also extra black.... My girlfriend getting back on the boat from the water just putting her hands and feet on the platform were completely black.....

Any help or suggestions or??? would be greatly appreciated. This is the first "used" anything I have ever bought and I seem to keep finding things that are making me think I should have maybe not have bought???

Boat

Thanks

Hummm...that could be a poss. that he left them in svc. mode???? But wouldn't I get a warning alram or beep? I am sending the ECUs out to get reflashed...hope that helps. I am really leaning towards fuel...both motors running the exact same fed by one fuel tank????? Or at least that is what I am praying. So with the reflash, fresh fuel and plugs hopefully it will all be good?

Ummm....I'll take those whip'd 500's and trade ya even up for my sexy HO's... lol.

Boat

Thanks

Just an update for those following along....

Computers are on their way back from being re-flashed and tunned. Turns out BOTH were in guardian mode (however I had no buzzers/warnings) and it was basically described to me that whoever was "into the computers" before him was probably not qualified to open a cracker-jack box and he was surprised it even ran So Saturday the computers and fresh fuel go in....Sunday will be a good test and all should be good! Thanks to everyone involved....y'all rock